coolant leak in 97 expy 4.6

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mmrseed

Full Access Members
Reaction score
hey all, my son's 97 expy with 4.6 has a coolant leak (not too bad) and it seems to be coming from whatever is the lowest accessory on the belt. What part is that and why would it be leaking? It is completely dry and green free everywhere else around and above that part. I can't find a 4.6 diagram to tell me what it is. Any help? Thanks

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
It sounds like the water pump to me. That is the only accessory that would have coolant near it. All others would either require the coolant to be running down the block from somewhere else or one of the hoses has a pin hole leak on it and it is spraying the coolant on to the pulley in question.

nsperf

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you are talking about about the V at the top of the engine or the Crank pulley at the bottom of the engine more than likely it is the water pump.

Not too bad of a job to do yourself, of course if you do not work on vehicles then your local mechanic can knock this out in no time.

You will need the kit to pull the fan but other than that pretty simple.

OP
OP
mmrseed

mmrseed

Full Access Members
Reaction score
thx guys...I'm heading out to get a chilton's to see what I may be in for before I decide whether to take it to my local mechanic or do it myself

OP
OP
mmrseed

mmrseed

Full Access Members
Reaction score
it's at the bottom at the crank pulley. A little more research and the fact that the truck started squealing has me convinced it is the water pump bearings gone bad. Thanks again