Coolant pipe under manifold question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bolt snapper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm preparing to replace my upper intake manifold, which I suspect may be the source of my coolant leak. Although I can't see it dripping or spraying from the passenger side of the aluminum crossover while it's running, it feels wet when feeling around underneath it (and wet residue all around), so I assume the plastic is cracked inside the port like I've seen in so many posts and videos.

I have a considerable amount of coolant on top of the block under the manifold, so I'm wondering if that coolant pipe under there may be leaking as well (or instead)? Either the pipe itself or the o-ring that inserts into the back of the waterpump? Do the pipes themselves leak typically, or just the o-ring? I think I've also read that this pipe is nearly impossible to remove and replace, due to a clamp on the firewall that is not accessible?

I found this part on Rock Auto - it's labeled as a "bypass hose": 23657-1_TOP_A__ra_p.jpg

Is this a replacement for the metal tube? If so, has anyone used it who can explain how it works? I'm assuming you would cut the pipe at both ends and clamp this in its place?

I have also read (though I can't find in now) where some folks somehow by-pass this tube and bend some heater hose up from the front of the manifold and bring it around to wherever it connects near the heater T fitting?

I think I've hit my limit for questions in one post. I'd be happy to hear any and all thoughts and advice on this. Thanks!

Esat

Reaction score
I'm preparing to replace my upper intake manifold, which I suspect may be the source of my coolant leak. Although I can't see it dripping or spraying from the passenger side of the aluminum crossover while it's running, it feels wet when feeling around underneath it (and wet residue all around), so I assume the plastic is cracked inside the port like I've seen in so many posts and videos.

I have a considerable amount of coolant on top of the block under the manifold, so I'm wondering if that coolant pipe under there may be leaking as well (or instead)? Either the pipe itself or the o-ring that inserts into the back of the waterpump? Do the pipes themselves leak typically, or just the o-ring? I think I've also read that this pipe is nearly impossible to remove and replace, due to a clamp on the firewall that is not accessible?

I found this part on Rock Auto - it's labeled as a "bypass hose": 23657-1_TOP_A__ra_p.jpg

Is this a replacement for the metal tube? If so, has anyone used it who can explain how it works? I'm assuming you would cut the pipe at both ends and clamp this in its place?

I have also read (though I can't find in now) where some folks somehow by-pass this tube and bend some heater hose up from the front of the manifold and bring it around to wherever it connects near the heater T fitting?

I think I've hit my limit for questions in one post. I'd be happy to hear any and all thoughts and advice on this. Thanks!
You r going to replace intake manifold so all that redneck fixes are not for you. Stick with original OEM. Do your cleaning change your o-rings ect. It should work for an other 160K like that

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree. Do it once and do it right. Your going to have it all apart, why jury rig something that's not necessary.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

Bolt snapper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So is it true that this pipe is nearly impossible to remove so that it can be inspected? Would having the waterpump off and the intake off at the same time make it any easier?

Esat

Reaction score
So is it true that this pipe is nearly impossible to remove so that it can be inspected? Would having the waterpump off and the intake off at the same time make it any easier?
Pump is in front, this pipe goes from the nipple of pump housing in the valley all the way back and there is one or two bolt and nuts holding it secure on the back side. Front side on the nipple o-rings. On mine there were no problems on the pipe. After consideration I left it alone, didn't take it out just inspected .

OP
OP
B

Bolt snapper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So in Picture #1, is the sensor in the middle of the valley the knock sensor? And is the wiring harness running to the driver's side head connected to a sensor, as well? If so, is that something I should change while under there?

Esat

Reaction score
So in Picture #1, is the sensor in the middle of the valley the knock sensor? And is the wiring harness running to the driver's side head connected to a sensor, as well? If so, is that something I should change while under there?
All my readings told me to change that knock sensor and I did.

OP
OP
B

Bolt snapper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you!

So I changed plugs and coils a couple of months ago (less than 2k miles on them). In addition to the intake, I plan to purchase and replace:

• O-ring on coolant pipe
  • Knock sensor
  • Water pump
  • Fan clutch
  • Injector o-rings
  • Valve cover gaskets
Are there any other parts, sensors, etc. that I need to consider while I've got it torn down this far?