5.4l Coolant Manifold crossover leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
A

Al Steel

Reaction score
Here's the plan now:

1 - Clean, clean, clean... clear all the debris and gunk the best I can from the top of the engine and components. Clean the mating surfaces and somehow clean the head intake ports of carbon buildup.
2 - Inspect and clean the coils. Replace any boots and springs that need it.
3 - Flush and clean the injectors, replace the o-rings.
4 - Replace the valve cover gaskets and grommets. Inspect the cam bearings for signs of wear or play.
5 - Replace the intake and associated gaskets.
6 - Replace the vacuum hoses and PCV valve, most are dried out, worn and are a failure waiting to happen.
7 - Clean/lube the throttle body. Lube throttle cable.
8 - inspect the pulleys, belt, tensioner, rotating components. Replace as needed.
9 - Change spark plugs
10 - Check intake and clean MAF. Replace air filter.

That gives me a hobby but I NEED to get this thing back on the road. Thoughts on what else I should do while it is all apart?

Thanks!

OP
OP
A

Al Steel

Reaction score
Was able to pull the plugs today, that was a lot easier with everything out of the way. BUT I made a truly horrific discovery. See the pic.. warning! If you are squeamish you may want to scroll past it...

2BCC24D4-8062-44E6-B40D-F93AB434F69D.jpeg

NOOOOOOOOO! Oh the horror! The humanity! Why God, whyyyy???

Really though, why? The OEM plugs are like $1.50 more so that's what $12 for the manufacturer designed plug? Anywho, funny thing is, whomever changed them missed one of the cylinders which, oddly enough, had a MC plug. Go figure.

Next, cleanup and new valve cover gaskets. Will the fun never end?!

Last edited:

Broncoholic

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Really though, why? The OEM plugs are like $1.50 more so that's what $12 for the manufacturer designed plug? Anywho, funny thing is, whomever changed them missed one of the cylinders which, oddly enough, had a MC plug. Go figure.
I'd bet a hundred the Autolite failed and they replaced it with a MC:jester:

OP
OP
A

Al Steel

Reaction score
Cleaned up the engine (mostly) and pulled the valve covers this weekend (pics to follow). Far easier without everything in the way! The cams and everything in there look pretty good. The passenger side has more color than I would really like but not sure how I could clean that other than a wipe down with a gas covered rag.

I know there's a lot to inspect in a 3V (phasers, rollers, etc) but does anyone have advice on the 2V?

I have also noticed the head intakes are pretty carboned up. Any suggestions on how to remove that mechanically or should I use something like a Seafoam product when it's all back together?

Thanks!

OP
OP
A

Al Steel

Reaction score
Tech Note about Valve Covers:

Despite the intake manifold and all the lines and Tubes being out of the way, there were still some gotchas that are worth noting.

Driver side: this was the easiest side but I still had to remove the bracket that holds the power steering fluid reservoir. I also had to disconnect the coolant overflow tank hose and move it out of the way. It's a good idea to have a swivel adapter for any socket wrench that you were going to use to get to these bolts as well as different length extensions.

Passenger side: this was a real treat. To get to the outside bolts I had to remove the battery, tray, the computer, and move all of the electrical/coolant lines to even have enough space to work. I also had to slightly bend the transmission dipstick tube because some genius placed one of the bolts directly behind the tube. There was absolutely no space to get a tool on that without moving that tube out of the way. Removing the cover on this side took some wrestling and angling it to get it out. There's a heat shield next to the firewall that prevents you from pulling it straight up and out. It took a bit of angling and tugging to get this valve cover off. Be careful when removing this cover because the thin plastic lip that holds the valve cover gasket in place could get cracked or damaged.

Just some FYI if you are planning on tackling this job.

jerod85

Reaction score
So I am having the same issue as Al Steel but I haven't been able to get the coolant crossover pipe off I think there might be another bolt by the pass. Side valve cover but I can't get to it. Any advice is greatly appreciated

Broncoholic

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I am having the same issue as Al Steel but I haven't been able to get the coolant crossover pipe off I think there might be another bolt by the pass. Side valve cover but I can't get to it. Any advice is greatly appreciated
You have to remove the intake to get the coolant crossover tube off.

jerod85

Reaction score
You have to remove the intake to get the coolant crossover tube off.
Soi had bought the head gasket kit should I return that and get just the crossover and intake gasket? And also do I have to remove the crossover in order to just change the gasket or should I go ahead and replace the intake gasket as well

jerod85

Reaction score
I know it's not a head gasket due to no milky substance on oil filler cap or dipstick or in coolant