"cop"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rickyb

Reaction score
"cop" and wet weather

i have a 01 w/ 5.4. last week we had a big storm and my wife was driving home thru streets that had turned into small rivers. because of that we now have a miss. i am going to get a scan tool to find out which cylinder it is so i can dry it out or replace it. my question is, is this going to be a constant problem? i have another 4x4 and have driven thru water up to my windshield. my expy does'nt seem to be able to handle simple street flooding. my wife was petrified while driving so im sure that excessive speed wasn't the reason. luckily i live in az and we don't have this water problem often. has anyone else had this problem? will spraying w/ wd40 help? is there any way to water proof the coil on plug parts? do they sell water proof ones? help

Last edited:

dyurkosr

Reaction score
The water must have been pretty high! The plugs will not usually get wet - they are down inside tubes and are sealed with individual coils and plug boots. However, you may have toased a coil. A scan tool will tell you that you have a missfire, but you will need a datastream to find out which coil. And, if you have higher miles, usually 70k or more, coils are a normal issue to replace at this time. repalce the plugs as you do the coils. The rear 4 coils are a pain, take your time and good luck.

OP
OP
R

rickyb

Reaction score
thanks for reply. since post the problem has temporarily fixed itself, dried out that is, i guess. truck running fine now. i have about 90k on it. should i replace all coils or as needed, plugs were done when i bought it.

dyurkosr

Reaction score
The coils, at retail from the dealer are about $125.00 EACH! nless you have some extra cash to burn, I would only do them as needed. Dan