Core support/radiator support rust at frame??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cdherman

Reaction score
Anyone else have this in the 03-06 trucks?

My 04 has very little rust at all, BUT up front, where the core/radiator support sits on the rubber pads between it and the frame -- the core support is flakeing off, with deep rust and damage. Only real rust on the vehicle...

I was under the vehicle getting ready for winter and it really bothered me. I knew about it when I bought it, but its progressed in a year quite a bit.

The core support has not yet sagged or collapsed, but it worries me how long that will take.

Anyone else notice this?

Getting it appart to blast it and repaint would essentially entail taking the whole front clip off the truck. A nightmare.....

Whole chunks of rust and paint falling off. Strange.....

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's happening on mine as well. I figure ill wait and save to replace it when it gets worse. Im hopping being in Fl now instead of Mi will considerably slow the process

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

cdherman

Reaction score
Well, it really troubles me -- clearly a design flaw of some sort, since there's so little rust elsewhere.

I looked things over some more. Looks like when it starts to actually collapse, the core will drop to the frame about 1.5" below. I might be able to jack it up and stick a 2x4 in there and keep things junkin' along. But sure is not what I'd hope for......

Rod240sx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've noticed the same thing on my 06... It's the only heavy rust in the vehicle.

Dexter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I sanded and repainted it once I noticed a little spec of rust forming

Rod240sx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Long story short, I had to bring my 2006 Limited to the body shop to fix some minimal damage (got side-swiped while parked). When they removed the front bumper, they noticed severe rust on the lower portion of my radiator support/core support. It was a bit of a surprise to me since I had noticed rust in that area before from underneath the vehicle, but had no idea it was this bad.

From framerail to framerail, the entire lower core is disintegrating in my hands. I could literally poke a hole with my finger in certain areas. Such a disappointment - loosing a radiator should not be a concern on a 6 year old truck.

Keep an eye on that area of your vehicles!

I'm waiting for a quote from the bodyshop on replacing the core/radiator support. I'll update shortly..

Big White

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pics would be great! I went VERY liberal with rust cop in that area when I was spaying.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well you are in kansas and everyone but dexter is in a northern/snow climate...my truck is from florida and im in virginia now...i dont have any

kmh1596

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the same damage, and knew about it when I bought the truck. I found a shop that quoted ~$500 to replace the radiator support. I'll be bringing it in this winter.

The damage to mine is shown below. Sorry they are not zoomed out at all, but it was what the seller sent me before I drove out to look at the truck.

Expyrust1.jpg

Expyrust2.jpg