Core support/radiator support rust at frame??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAWPWR

Reaction score
was changing my left side burnt out fog light and saw all this rot on the frame above the rubber mount. checked the right side and the same! how hard is it to replace this "core support/ radiator support" part of the frame? special tools??

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
was changing my left side burnt out fog light and saw all this rot on the frame above the rubber mount. checked the right side and the same! how hard is it to replace this "core support/ radiator support" part of the frame? special tools??

It is an involved process. You have to remove the front bumper, grille, and fenders, Then the condenser and radiator and the oil cooler and trans cooler if equipped. Then you have to cut off the rusted parts and weld in the new radiator support. I'm not equipped to do it so I'll be taking mine to the body shop for them to do it.

speedrich

Reaction score
Exact same situation here. Northern Quebec truck being eaten by salt and sh*t on the road over the winters. Very low rust elsewhere. Will be getting that fixed too hopefully around spring... :whymewhyme:

Last edited:

RAWPWR

Reaction score
thanks ExpeditionAndy , what about replacing the entire unit, are there welds that need to be cut and then rewelded? I'm guess there is. bolt on would be great. thanks again
here's a pic of one side of mine..

Attachments

• expedetion frame rot.jpg
    expedetion frame rot.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 825

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

65comet

Reaction score
Just to put it out there, mine is almost gone too. And, the tranny coolant lines where they pass under it on the drivers side rusted away and blew this weekend. Some supplier skipped something on those supports.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just to put it out there, mine is almost gone too. And, the tranny coolant lines where they pass under it on the drivers side rusted away and blew this weekend. Some supplier skipped something on those supports.

Put your year and model in your signature.

What year Expedition do you have?

65comet

Reaction score
I saved the year in the profile when I set it up. Didn't notice it doesn't show that on the page like some of the other forums I'm in. Wonderful '05 (slightly sarcastic). I have two heavy boxes in the garage with new cam phasers to put in. I think just about everything else that is known to go bad has done so. Next Summer this one is going and I'm investigating 2009 and 2010 for a replacement. Just too much they didn't do right on this one to keep it for another 10 years. And fixing this rust support would be too much time that I would rather spend on something I love instead of something that is just for getting the family, dogs around and for camping.

foredeckguy

Reaction score
Has anyone located an aftermarket radiator support for the 2006 Expy? A couple months ago I searched and could only find the Ford part for lots of money.