Cost of Fuel Fill Inlet

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Auburnlisa

Reaction score
89K miles. Got the error message of Check Fuel Fill Inlet a few months ago. Throws a P0455 when CEL comes on after a few days of the error message. We've tried all the tricks with spraying carb cleaner/wd 40 using the fuel funnel, clear the codes then it comes back within a few days to weeks. In a state with emissions testing so we have to get it fixed. Taking it to dealer tomorrow, how much can I expect this to cost?

JollyRoger

Full Access Members
Reaction score
P0455 can mean more than just the fuel fill inlet. I went through all this and it ended up being the canister vent tube that is on the back side of the top of the engine (can't remember what it is called exactly). Easy 3 minute fix, but took months to figure it out. Dealer will hopefully identify the right problem, but you may incur a good sized bill for troubleshooting. Hopefully they just don't blindly replace the fuel fill inlet without doing a smoke test. No idea how much this will cost you at the dealer...sorry.

RogerD1959

2.5 Months Ltr, and Final Bill 22K+
Reaction score
89K miles. Got the error message of Check Fuel Fill Inlet a few months ago. Throws a P0455 when CEL comes on after a few days of the error message. We've tried all the tricks with spraying carb cleaner/wd 40 using the fuel funnel, clear the codes then it comes back within a few days to weeks. In a state with emissions testing so we have to get it fixed. Taking it to dealer tomorrow, how much can I expect this to cost?
I reccomend calling your dealership. It may be covered by the vehicle emissions component warranty. I have not had a reason to look into a failure like that with my 2016 so I don't know what Fords warranty limits are. If it is a emission critical part, those can have 7 - 10 year Unlimited mileage replacement coverage. Not to mention a fuel filler tube should not be failing on a vehicle with less than 100,000 miles on the odometer. You did not mention if it had the capless fuel fill system? Mine is so equipped, while I love the convenience, I can see where parts present at the fuel pump nozzle point of entry could wear out in advance of the tube doing so. Especially if refueling is done with rough handling, leaning on the fuel pump nozzle during the fillup process, or jamming the pump nozzle into the fill opening recklessly. I hope to get mine back today from the shop the LF wheel bearing had to be replaced which also caused the wheel speed sensor to die leading to a chain reaction of other system failures. When I got to the dealer the repair bill was headed well North of 5K, thank God I wasted money on a 100,000 mile service contract, those things they tell you to not buy, save your money. Well I think I came out ahead this time. I will put your question to my dealership service people and let you know what is what, hopefully later today.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
A

Auburnlisa

Reaction score
Thanks, Roger, it is the capless fuel system. While I don't intentionally roughly handle fueling, I'm not going to claim that I treat it as if it was glass either :) I've seen enough chatter to know that Ford has had issues with this across multiple vehicles and multiple years. My independent mechanic also told us that Ford really should look into a recall/extended warranty fix on this as they did with several models in the 2008-2010 range (13N01).

OP
OP
A

Auburnlisa

Reaction score
Update: the dealership "diagnosed" this as Fuel Vapor Management valve, part BL3Z-9B325-C. They charged $125 for the part, $430 in labor and $65 in shop supplies -- $620. We'll see if it is a permanent fix as this was the first part they tested, it failed, but they also said this is where they begin with the error I was seeing. (our computer registered a P0455, the dealer had a P1455).