Could this be my half shaft?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bowman1268

Reaction score
Well today I took the expy across town and noticed when coming to a stop right before the forward momentum is gone there is a light bump.The on the way home I noticed a vibration when slowing down and then if creeping very slowly forward like in a drive thru or traffic a grabbing and then releasing sensation like something is binding then letting go.sometimes you barley can feel this other times it was very noticeable.So when I got home I took a look and a passenger side cv boot is completely shredded grease everywhere.I am going to replace the half shaft but thought I would ask if there is anything else that could cause this like could I also have a bad universal joint or maybe a really messed up alignment?Just want to cover my bases as the previous owner messed up alot of stuff on this truck.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Sounds like you have and obviously bad cv joint so I would replace the halfshaft and go from there.

I dont see anything causing it to go bad prematurely other than maybe if you lifted it or have oversized tires on it. These can increase the driveline angle and load on it.

OP
OP
B

bowman1268

Reaction score
Not lifted yet ,but hop too in the future.

So the grabbing and such are symptoms of a bad cv?

I have only ever had one other car have a bad cv and it only made a terrible racket when turning so I wasn't sure if this was 100 percent my problem.