courtesy lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good evening I was wondering if the courtesy lights (running board and interior) could be turned off temporarily if you were cleaning the interior of the truck? I am having a hard time cleaning the interior because I keep closing the doors to prolong bulb life. Also a bulb burned out in the keypad keyless entry. How do you replace it? My expy is a 2000 4.6 4x2. Thank you very much!

z168

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There is no option to switch off the interior and running board lights. There are only work-arounds. You can either:
1. temporarily using a screw driver close the latch on the doors or hatch you have open
2. temporarily pull fuse#14 in the Central Junction Box - this will disable the courtesy lamps plus running boards

No idea on the keypad bulb. But I would guess theyre the same small type bulbs found on gauges. Might be even a regular 168 bulb

AbbadonTD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I use the fuse pull method when I tailgate so we can hang around/on the expy.

z168

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ive been wanting to do a separate switch on this for a looooonnng time. but just havent had the time. one day...

AbbadonTD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
should be able to trip the fuse line, just drop in a switch, right? That would be useful for me.

AbbadonTD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
so where I had seen this is that jeep actually makes a kit to do this, to trip the lights off so you can remove the doors. it is as simple as it sounds to do however...

z168

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yep it should be straightforward. Most especially because our expeditions are not electronic-sensitive to custom wirings unlike newer cars