Crazy Expedition to Cargo van idea?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nycnftm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Crazy thinking out loud idea and want to know if it has been done and what it looks like. What about removing the rear seats and the flooring under where the third row is down to the metal to maximize cargo space.

I'm thinking it will look that crap, but my Expy has zero resale value and I was thinking of buying a van.

Plati

Reaction score
Crazy thinking out loud idea and want to know if it has been done and what it looks like. What about removing the rear seats and the flooring under where the third row is down to the metal to maximize cargo space.

I'm thinking it will look that crap, but my Expy has zero resale value and I was thinking of buying a van.
I did that on my 2003 six years ago and then again on my 2014EL four years ago. Left the one small rear jump seat in and built a 32" wide platform for a bed and storage space underneath. Seats weigh a lot so it's nice to lighten the load and get a ton of "hidden" storage space. Down to metal. All that plastic tray crap in the rear floor is wasted space, nice to get rid of it. I raised up the platform 3" or so so I have a nice toolbox space at the rear. On my 2003 I got rid of most of the platform so the second row seat area is kind of van like now. Lots of pictures in previous posts I did here.

I can live in it, down by the River.
IMG_2027.JPG
IMG_2028.JPG

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Making the wild assumption that the “rear” seats are the third row, mine came that way. I bought it from a fire department. They had a rack in back for their gear; it came out easily enough. Then i had a flat space from the second row all the way to the hatch. FWIW, the third row, had it been there, would have folded flat to the floor.
In my case, (2nd gen) the second row also folds flat. So the 2nd gen expy will alllow for a flat load space from the front seats to the hatch without removing anything. Are all the models/generations like that, with fold flat seating?