Creaking noise coming from front...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JesscaGarnand

Reaction score
So I have a 1999 Expy. Just yesterday I noticed this new noise. It is definitely a creaking noise, not a click or grind or squeal. It is coming from the front and it sort of sounds like a squeaky bed. It happens when I turn, go over bumps, doesn't matter if the truck is on or off.

I can be standing on the step and jump and hear it also.

Makes me think its the ball joints. But I am not too sure, anyone have some opinions here?

american steel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ball joinst are a possibility look at your front wheels are they bowing outward?
more than likely if it isn't balljoints you have a bad bushing somewhere.
check your tie rods!
its not fun having one of them pop off and a wheel is flopping around.
bushings in a control arm?
a shock can cause that issue too.
something stupid.
bushing in steering linkage?
if your balljoints have the fitting put some grease in them suckers than turn your wheels and drive see what that does for ya

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
Sometimes the sway bar mount bushings can make that noise. These are the ones that mount it to the frame, not he links at either end.

Squirt a bit of WD40 on those bushings and see if the noise changes or goes away.

Then spray start spraying every rubber bushing you see. if none of them stop the noise, then I'd look at ball joints.