Cruise Control Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dothedeww

Reaction score
2001 Expedition XLT 5.4

So I went out to my truck the other day and it wouldnt shift out of park. I used the override and got it out of park, and found out the windows dont work, the interior lights dont work, wipers, etc.

I saw fuse 15 I think was blown, so I replaced it and immediately it blew again.

So after searching for a couple days I looked under the hood, and the connector in front of the brake fluid reservoir was covered in the break fluid. from what I can see, it is the cruise control connector. I unplugged it and taped it off, and the fuse doesnt blow anymore, and everything works perfect.

But, the brake fluid continues to cover the plug, it looks as if its coming from under the plug and filling it with more brake fluid. How do I fix this?

Thanks!

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just to let you know, that is the source of the recall on the cruise control switch. Make sure you have the recall done on your vehicle. If there is an inline fuse on your CC wiring leading to the brake resevoir, you are OK. If not, get it fixed now or you will likely lose your vehicle due to a fire if the brake fluid ignites.
Sounds like the seal has gone bad on the CC connector. I don't know if they sell that seal separately or not, but if not, you may need a new resevoir. I would go to Autozone or the like and see if they can get you a new connector/seal. I would also check at the dealer to see if the recall had been done ASAP.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, leave it disconnected and take it in to the dealer to check.

OP
OP
D

dothedeww

Reaction score
Just to let you know, that is the source of the recall on the cruise control switch. Make sure you have the recall done on your vehicle. If there is an inline fuse on your CC wiring leading to the brake resevoir, you are OK. If not, get it fixed now or you will likely lose your vehicle due to a fire if the brake fluid ignites.
Sounds like the seal has gone bad on the CC connector. I don't know if they sell that seal separately or not, but if not, you may need a new resevoir. I would go to Autozone or the like and see if they can get you a new connector/seal. I would also check at the dealer to see if the recall had been done ASAP.

Thanks. Will the dealer replace teh leaking plug for free, or do they just put in the wiring harness so it doesnt catch fire?

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The recall is just for the CC wiring harness. If the connector on the resevoir is bad, I'm sure they would be glad to fix that too...but for their hourly rate.

OP
OP
D

dothedeww

Reaction score
The recall is just for the CC wiring harness. If the connector on the resevoir is bad, I'm sure they would be glad to fix that too...but for their hourly rate.

Yeah haha. I called the dealer trying to figure out if I can buy just the plug/seal or whether I need a whole new master cylinder, im waiting for them to call back now.

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2000 will be a part of it. I believe it was for 98-2003 vehicles, mostly F150's and Expys.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jefes_Shyt