Cuts out, wth? I need help quick!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4x43V

Reaction score
Hi,

My 2005 expy is actin strange. The idle is very rough and it cuts out hevy loads. The light that looks like an engine comes on when the motor cuts and then goes off. The check engine light hasn't come on at all. What do you guys thinks?

It's a 5.4 3v with 86,000. I just replaced the plugs.

Thanks,
-Arron

IL67BP

Reaction score
Have you tried replacing the coils? Any reason water may have gotten in there?

OP
OP

4x43V

Reaction score
But would t the check engine light come on if the coils were bad?

Sent while dropping a deuce!

Butch Smith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can have a bad coil and the check engine light might not come on. Take it to an auto parts store and have them read the codes(most will do this for free). I had a coil go out and it took awhile before the check engine light came on.

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's the sign of a misfire. Could be a plug or a coil. Go have the codes read at your local auto parts store and see what codes were thrown. If it's a misfire it will be P30X, with the X being the cylinder that is misfiring.

OP
OP

4x43V

Reaction score
I just changed the plugs, it stuttered like this before I changed the plugs. Now it's not as bad but idles bad and it cuts out under load. I remember coils lasting 100k+ with the cobra 4v what the hell is wrong with the 3v?

OP
OP

4x43V

Reaction score
It was the number seven coil on plug. Changed it and now she runs great. Some local shop wanted 85 just to pull the codes, I said I'll go to AutoZone pal, good job.