Cylinder misfire #2 & 7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
zets101

zets101

Reaction score
Don't use anti-seize? I thought everyone recommended it. Well, I found that in cylinder #7 the shop the previous owners took it to didn't feel like changing that plug. It still had an old rusty burned out Motorcraft plug. The shop probably felt that working around the fuel pressure regulator was too much work and the owners can go eff themselves. Yet another reason why I can't bring myself to trust a shop. If you want it done right, you have to do it yourself. Also upon inspecting all the other plugs that were actually changed (the bosch platinums) I see that they were burning too hot. Hopefully I'll have her all buttoned up by tomorrow and I can finally take her for a drive since I bought it. :)

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
from what I have read.... tons of sites...lol.... the common idea was without anti-seize the plugs were less likely to loosen up and cause the blow out... was also originally a torque spec of 14ft/lbs with anti-seize but later changed to the 28ft/lbs without... was less likely for the plugs to loosen and blow...

thats crazy about the old plug.... glad I helped (really watched) a friend change mine... also a member of this site DGray69... and if you haven't seen the other site http://fordexpeditionforum.com/ we are gonna combine that one and this one... many members are on both and the merger should be soon....

OP
OP
zets101

zets101

Reaction score
That makes sense about not using anti-seize, I'm glad you said something because I was going to use it. On the other topic: yeah I've seen the other forum and I've joined that one too just haven't posted there yet. After I get my expedition rolling I'll clean it up and get pictures of it on here and the story behind it. I'm learning a lot about these tritons and I'm not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing lol. Hopefully I'll have enough knowledge to help someone else down the road.

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hope everything works out for ya... and some good people on here that have a lot more knowledge than I do... thats why I am hoping for the merger soon so we can get everyone on one page

rburch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i have done alot of work on the modular engines and in my experience i have noticed that not using anti-seize causes the threads of the head to get stuck to the plug and when you remove them it strips the threads from the head. i have always used anti-seize even (on my own) and have never had the plug spitting issue.

i have done 3 plug changes on my expy with no problems at all.

OP
OP
zets101

zets101

Reaction score
Well, I finally finished the plugs and coils, and it fixed my misfires. It turns out only 2 out of 8 plugs were changed from the previous owner. The hardest part of changing the plugs and coils were cylinders #3&4 because of the heater hoses that go into the firewall. I wonder if anyone has a trick to working around the heater hoses for the next time I do it? I read a few write-ups on it and not once do they mention those evil hoses :mad: !

Lcarvone

Reaction score
I know the COPs are very tricky little buggers... when was the last time a full tune up was done COPs and plugs? If you need good COPs cheap look on ebay for UNEEK or GlobalAutomotive.... both sell sets of 8 shipped for under 100 bucks and for plugs I would only use motorcraft or autolite double platinum... other plugs have been known to cause many problems like misfires....

Are these examples of the ones you are referring to?

GlobalAutomotive

I have having a similar issue on my first Expedition (2003 EB with 5.4L) and am thinking about purchasing the COP's and plugs myself to take to the mechanic. I am more or less a novice to this type work and I assume it is better to change all at the same time versus piecemeal as they go bad...?

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes those are the COPs that I used from global... they also have a good customer service...

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I finally finished the plugs and coils, and it fixed my misfires. It turns out only 2 out of 8 plugs were changed from the previous owner. The hardest part of changing the plugs and coils were cylinders #3&4 because of the heater hoses that go into the firewall. I wonder if anyone has a trick to working around the heater hoses for the next time I do it? I read a few write-ups on it and not once do they mention those evil hoses :mad: !

easiest way... add a body lift...lol... body lifts off frame 3" and 3" of more room above the engine...lol but when we changed mine I held the hoses up while my buddy changed the plugs... glad you got it fixed

juanito198118

Reaction score
helllo i own a 1998 expedition at this moment i have a cylinder #2 and 7 misfire with P0174 code. she was running fine yesterday morning. went to the store shut it off when i went back into it. it was misfire plug in my scanner said at the time cylinder 2 misfire drove it home and scaned it again and it came out cylinder 2 and 7 misfire and the p0174 system too lean i need help...