Dash ambient temperature indicator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Modelcarguy

Reaction score
After discovering that my 2008 limited needed a new dash module (don’t ask - my tale of woe is a long and sad one) we discovered that the new module displays an ambient temperature display and a compass heading. Who knew? Wasn’t there before.

the compass heading matches the GPS display in the center of the dash, but the ambient temp gauge shows a balmy 75 degrees regardless of programming or the actual outside temp, and replacing the sensor under the hood was not the easy fix we presumed.

Any one else run into this problem? While the GPS shows outside temp properly and everything else is working as it should the fact that these two small numbers are wrong kinda bug me.

Solutions would be wonderful.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The new part sounds like it’s an incorrect message center of the XLT variety. Eddie Bauer, Limited, and King Ranch have the exterior temp displayed on the HVAC controls with the EXT button. They don’t have it on the message center but my old XLT with manual climate did since there was no screen with the hvac to show it like my Eddie Bauer. You *may* have to just live with it if the info isn’t sent there on our trims. Does the exterior temp display correctly on the HVAC panel when you press the EXT button?

Last edited:

dakotazeb

Reaction score
I have a 2014 Expedition XLT with auto climate control and the external temp is displayed on the HVAC panel. However, the temp displayed is not always correct. When the outside temp is in the 80's the display might read in the 40's or 30's. Would replacing the sensor the external temp correct this problem? Where is the sensor located?

tommyddsr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2009 Expedition EB with auto climate control and the external temp is displayed on the HVAC panel. Mines pretty accurate unless the truck has been sitting in the sun all day. Then driving/moving lets it cool to read the ambient temperature correctly. Never off by much if any.