Dashcam suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dorzak

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello all,

This is a spur of the moment post, and I haven't done some of the research yet myself. So I know at least one of my questions will be "you could check yourself pretty easy", but if you know the answer it could save me that as well.

I have the 2016 XLT EL with 202A. I use the USB outlets in the console for driver and passenger phone. The power plug in the dash is unused.

I am looking for dash came suggestions. Ideally I am looking at a two camera system. I want one for out the front at a reasonably wide angle, and something to show out the back.

I have been driving about 30 years, drive a lot of miles each year (was averaging about 35,000/year for a while), and had 5 accidents requiring significant repairs, 2 of which totaled the vehicle. Two of the 4 significant accidents I have been in I was rear-ended.

I don't think the cams marketed for Uber/Lyft/taxi drivers would give significant picture out the rear in case of being rear ended, they are designed to watch passengers, and see out the back of sedans.

This is the easy enough to check - the power socket on the passenger side by the rear hatch, is that accessible with the rear hatch closed? Thinking if nothing else I might get two cameras and place one back there powered from there and not have to do wires front to back.

For the two camera systems designed for one in the rear window, does anybody know of any of the kits that come with long enough wiring already to hide the wire somewhat from front to back of an EL?

Robert Castro

Reaction score
I an a big fan of dash cams. I recommend you figure out what you want by looking into the following site. The forum is similar this this one. https://dashcamtalk.com/
There are a lot of 2 channel dashcams out there and what you want is a matter of preference. I do suggest you hardwire it instead of relying on a usb plug. The look will be cleaner and it will be more reliable. Adding line to the back end is easy as long as you can get a good connection on the pig tail.

Cyclone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am looking at upgrading to vifio A129 Dual Camera. I just hope that the included 20' USB cable will reach from the front camera to the rear in my 2015 EL. Its a pretty long vehicle.

Robert Castro

Reaction score
I have that one but not with the rear camera. I liked how its discreet. As for the cable, you can add more if you need to.

Cyclone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OttWSdS.jpg

I like how it also looks like part of the truck. You really can't see it from the outside.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I have a Garmin. Really doesn't mean much with New York's no-fault laws but it may help me in an absurd liability claim. The Garmin's nice, discrete hard-wired equipment.

LRNAD90

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I like the high end BlackVue and ThinkWare multi channel Systems, but I haven't installed anything yet, and don't have any personal experience. This site sells them of course, but also has alot of good information..

https://www.blackboxmycar.com/