DC to DC charger wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rollinstone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Has anyone added a dc to dc house battery charger to their Expy? The existing cable provides very little amperage to the house battery(ies) while towing. I'm curious how you wired it from the Expy's alternator.

JimmyM

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 15A DC-DC charger in my camper. It pulls 18A from the 12V DC charge line on the truck. Works just fine. It's going to depend on how big a DC-DC charger you plan on using. I think the charge line is fused at 30A on my 2011 and 20A on my 2023.

OP
OP
rollinstone

rollinstone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All I need it to do is keep up with my fridge when it's running off battery while rolling down the road...20A should be plenty. Curious how you ran your wiring from the alternator/start battery. Some have said ya get better amperage by running the wires directly to the charger rather than going through the 7-pin connection. I suppose the wiring is gonna have to go under the chassis somewhere.

JimmyM

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just used the 7-pin. My DC-DC is only pulling 18A, It's a 14.5V (15A max) DC-DC converter. So the most it'll ever pull is 18A

I use 14.5V to charge my lithium camper batteries. 15A isn't a lot, but usually it's just topping them off as I drive to the camp ground.

Last edited: