Decision Dilemma: Keeping or Parting Ways with Our 2019 Expedition Max – Seeking Insight and Opinions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
New ones are selling for 10k below msrp today. Wait till October and that discount will be bigger. Currently there is 2 years of new inventory sitting n lots
Well, they are at MSRP here. If there are 2 years new inventory in lots that would explain why there isn't much at the dealers.

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you put on a new set of Michelin's your ride quality would be greatly improved. 100,000 miles on Hankooks...wow.
^This
Mine has Michelin Defender 285/45 R22 tires on it and my ride is too smooth, but very stable on the road. There's something about these tires, whether 18, 20 or 22", that just feel better than most.
Of course I have CCD that does make a difference. But the combination of the 2 make for a great sport feel, plus way less bump and bad road feel.

CoolViper777

Reaction score
As you have 5 people, I seriously doubt ANYTHING smaller than the Exp will work for you, especially if you want/need 3rd row seating for normal people. The Grand Highlander is a BIG step down from the Exp, and it's 3rd row is cramped. In fact, the entire vehicle just feels cramped, test drove one about 6 months ago, before getting the 2019 Expedition Plat. The Grand Highlander has this huge center console, which intrudes into your seating area, so that your right leg is ALWAYS touching it.

I would do what other's suggested, and get an Extended Warranty. And get some more comfortable tires (not performance tires which will be harsher for sure), and lower the tire pressure a bit, maybe 2 PSI below recommended. Shouldn't affect much in terms of tire wear, and will help it be more compliant. Getting 18's may help, but if you're complaining and you have 20's, then it may not be worth it. We have the 22's on our Expedition. Over the ride is nice and comfortable. Not to the level of isolation/comfort as my 2011 Lexus LS460. You CAN feel really bad roads, but this is a truck frame, not a car.

His is an xlt with 20 in wheels. You can tell by wheels and taillight design.

As far as replacing it, it depends on what you need. Tbh, If looking for reliability, your best bet would be nissan. Newer Toyota have just as many issues as Ford, and gm, and all three have less than jeep. I dnt hear about people having issues with nissan. Our armada needed the airbags replaced, but was fine after that. It seems the main problem isn't the reliability, but the service not wanting to work on them. There's good amount of people who have expys with high mileage and no problems.

If the ride is a problem, maybe swap for 18s and a thicker tire. Your not getting a better ride with the same level of room unless you go new jeep or gm, and you'd have to get the fully optioned models with the air suspension as well. The nissan or Toyota ride worse than what you have holistically. They also do not have the room as the gms or jeep.

If you can swing it, maybe a telluride, palisade, or grand highlander may be good as they have good amount room for the size.

OP
OP
BlakeMAX2019

BlakeMAX2019

Reaction score
We are in the exact same predicament. We too are disappointed in the ride quality . 2019 limited. Got 100,000 miles. Have done engine transmission and electrical repairs all under extended warranty. But now that extended warranty is up and we're scared of it. I was thinking about trading it for a grand Highlander hybrid. But hate to give up the towing capacity. On a positive note, we got 100,000 mi on the hankook dyna pro and I think they still got at least 5,000 mi left on them!
I hear ya. Yes the ride quality of our Expedition is awful, bouncing, jarring over every bump. A vehicle this heavy should be able to go over a speed bump and not even feel it. This one my head hits ceiling and my kidneys ache! I would get a new Sienna in a heartbeat, much better ride and when the dealer gave me for a loaner, I got between 36-45 mpg! The grand Highlander is great as well, same drivetrain as the Sienna but a bit more $. Hard part is convincing the wife to get a Minivan!

Shocked you got 100kmi out of your tires! We had to get the factory tires replaced with less than 20kmiles…they were completely worn out. New set of Michelins with 80mg warranty need replacing after only 25kmi.

OP
OP
BlakeMAX2019

BlakeMAX2019

Reaction score
As you have 5 people, I seriously doubt ANYTHING smaller than the Exp will work for you, especially if you want/need 3rd row seating for normal people. The Grand Highlander is a BIG step down from the Exp, and it's 3rd row is cramped. In fact, the entire vehicle just feels cramped, test drove one about 6 months ago, before getting the 2019 Expedition Plat. The Grand Highlander has this huge center console, which intrudes into your seating area, so that your right leg is ALWAYS touching it.

I would do what other's suggested, and get an Extended Warranty. And get some more comfortable tires (not performance tires which will be harsher for sure), and lower the tire pressure a bit, maybe 2 PSI below recommended. Shouldn't affect much in terms of tire wear, and will help it be more compliant. Getting 18's may help, but if you're complaining and you have 20's, then it may not be worth it. We have the 22's on our Expedition. Over the ride is nice and comfortable. Not to the level of isolation/comfort as my 2011 Lexus LS460. You CAN feel really bad roads, but this is a truck frame, not a car.
Yeah with 5 kids, the options are limited! However we rarely are all in the car but still. Not sure why Toyota started putting these huge aircraft carrier sized center consoles, they’re not even that functional.

We’ve replaced the tire’s already, factory tires lasted 15kmiles, with the best Michelins Costco has and really no difference. These tires need replacing as well with only 25kmi to 30kmiles on them, they’re an 80k warranty tire!

The struggle for me is we only paid $54k for it brand new, not to mention 0%, cars nowadays are so damn pricey…then again a gallon of milk is $6.

OP
OP
BlakeMAX2019

BlakeMAX2019

Reaction score
If you put on a new set of Michelin's your ride quality would be greatly improved. 100,000 miles on Hankooks...wow.
The 100k on any tire is impressive. We had to replace our factory tires at 18kmiles. Went with the
Michelins, best ones Costco had, 80kmi warranty…they’re done after maybe 30kmi.

OP
OP
BlakeMAX2019

BlakeMAX2019

Reaction score
^This
Mine has Michelin Defender 285/45 R22 tires on it and my ride is too smooth, but very stable on the road. There's something about these tires, whether 18, 20 or 22", that just feel better than most.
Of course I have CCD that does make a difference. But the combination of the 2 make for a great sport feel, plus way less bump and bad road feel.
We replaced the factory tires with Michelins at 18kmi due to wear. Got the best Costco had, 80kmi warranty…they’re just about done with less than 30kmi on them.

OP
OP
BlakeMAX2019

BlakeMAX2019

Reaction score
I don't know where you live or where you're shopping, but what I see for Tahoe's and Yukon's in AZ and surrounding areas is full list. Some stores in NM are list plus. A couple of stores in near PHX are discounting around $2000 off on Tahoe's. Tell me where new ones are $10K off please.
Agreed, here in The Peoples Republic of California…all Tahoes/Suburbans are MSRP plus add ons.

The Tahoes/Suburbans ride like a dream compared to the Expedition. Wife Rented one when the Expedition needed the Cams done…she loved it and I noticeably felt the difference going over the same roads we drive in…night and day.

OP
OP
BlakeMAX2019

BlakeMAX2019

Reaction score
New ones are selling for 10k below msrp today. Wait till October and that discount will be bigger. Currently there is 2 years of new inventory sitting n lots
Guessing by your name, are you in CA? If so I am as well and haven’t seen any discounts on Tahoe/Suburban anywhere. The only discounts I’ve seen are from dealers in Michigan that are advertising employee deals discounts that most people don’t qualify for. In terms of inventory, not sure where you get the 2yrs of inventory…dealers within 200miles of me have Tahoes/Suburbans for 2 weeks max…not 2 years.

Then again Tahoes/Suburbans have their own issues as well!

OP
OP
BlakeMAX2019

BlakeMAX2019

Reaction score
If I’m catching the gist of this, you’ve endured the worst these things can dish out, but are ready to get off the ride now that the bugs are worked out. I can see why, trouble is I don’t know what’s an upgrade for you. I just posted a big review of my experience, and I’ll tell you a 20 or 24 Chevy is a major step back in refinement, plus I don’t know that’d it be any more reliable. Sounds like the Toyota has a major drawback as well. I don’t trust fca and I’m a mopar guy when it comes to old cars. Oh and that price, damn.
Agreed! The GMs have major issues as well…engines needing replacing after 5kmiles. the wife rented a Sub when the Max was in the shop and she loved it. Refinement was much better inside and out, felt like a luxury car…ride noticeably better than the MaX.

Agreed about FCA, I’m with ya and I’ve been a Mopar guy as first car was a 68 Charger…bought it for $11k in 88’…sold it a few years later…now it’s probably worth $100k but that’s a whole other story!

As you stated, Not sure what the upgrade would be? The wife wants a Seqioua, that’s a downgrade for me in many ways and they’re pricey with reliability issues as well.

It probably would be an easier decision if there were rebates and 0% financing…so tough for me to look at spending $80k+ on a family car that you really pay $110k+ after it’s all said and done.