Dial Shifter - Let Me Vent!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GixxerJasen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Expy is in the shop waiting in line to get the transmission diagnosed. They called to tell me they finally got in a loaner. 2024 F150 FX4. It's got the console old style shift thing. Honestly, it's huge and takes up space and just gets in the way. Can't wait to get my expy back.

Oh, the giant screen is nice, don't like how Android Auto is displayed though, and I'm missing my adaptive cruise control. Nice truck otherwise.

ChuckNOS

Reaction score
What defines "old guy?" Anyway, I've gotten used to the dial shifter ('23 Mac XLT) for everyday driving...not a big deal. What I dfind virtually unusable is the manual shit mode placement. Without a lever, there should be paddle shifters....had them on a 2011 Subaru and they came in very handy.

Maxine the Max

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am an "Old Guy" millions of miles under my belt, driving a tow truck for a living at age sixteen, street racing in the early 70's and one of my favorite sayings; "back when it was legal to drink and drive" (don't get upset it is just a joke, but true)
Whoever prompted Ford engineering to adopt the dial shifter should be fired! I is inherently wrong in every aspect of humanity.
As the proud owner of a 2024 Expedition Max I have to admit it didn't bother me initially, but it didn't take long for this unnatural cumbersome basic function of driving to start eating away at my soul.
The fact some person somewhere in the great country thought this shifter was a good ideal baffles my mind. I'm assuming it was copied from some modern European design or a video game.
I truly understand it is my unwillingness to change that has brought this rant to print, maybe there is some weekly evening meeting I can attend to help me with this problem although I'm pretty sure it will not help.
I do love the truck, but I will end with; If at any point Ford or the aftermarket ever develops a plug-and-play retrofit normal (Human style) shifter the way it was intended to be (Park-Forward, Drive-Back and Neutral somewhere in the middle) I will buy it at any cost!
Just so it is clear, this is not the way I normally talk. It was incredibly hard for me to write this post and not have it removed due to my normal use profanity.
Thanks for the venting session, I'm curious if there are others who feel the same way, please chime in.
Haha! You made my morning. All you needed was a dag-gum. Then it would have been perfect.
I'm a big fan of column shifters. Just feels right. But if I have to have one on the console. I like the dial. There isn't a big clunky handle sticking out. It has sleek classy look. And anything is better then the shifter on the dash! That's just bizarre.

Galaxieman

Reaction score
Two words: Column shift. The console shift is in the way, and the rotary is just plain stupid. Wife's '19 Expy has the rotary, my '20 F150 has a column shift, and my '12 5.0 GT is a 6-speed manual. It does not matter which truck I'm driving, the first time I go to put it in reverse on any given trip, I reach for the wrong location. Zero problems with the Mustang, but then again the 3-pedal thing and seating position helps muscle memory. There is ZERO reason ergonomically for the rotary dial to be where it is, and while it's slightly better than the console shift (in that it doesn't stick up way into the middle of everything) functionally it's stupid. At least they're both better than the GM 'buttons/toggles'. Push, pull, push? Design on those things seems arbitrary at best, and capricious at worst.

Something like 80% of vehicles in Europe are manual shift, which is a built-in forcing function to keep people off their phones. Between that and stricter licensing protocols, their crash numbers look better than ours. Last stats I saw had US manual vehicle sales at ~1%, and only 18% of Americans can even drive one anymore. And many of those are aging out of the driving population way faster than they're being replaced...

And don't even get me started on the whole "it automatically shifts to park" thing.

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have yet to hear anybody complain about the space a manual shifter on the console takes up. Then again not that many people can drive one.

GixxerJasen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have yet to hear anybody complain about the space a manual shifter on the console takes up. Then again not that many people can drive one.
I can drive one. I'd rather not in Dallas traffic though. Nothing like having a bad day at work followed by over an hour of 3mph stop and go working a clutch.

cptbligh

Reaction score
Column shifter is best shifter.

Console wastes a bunch of space, and coming out of the BMW with the idrive controller in the same location I have to stop myself from throwing the Expy in park when i want to scroll through the dash menus. :D

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can drive one. I'd rather not in Dallas traffic though. Nothing like having a bad day at work followed by over an hour of 3mph stop and go working a clutch.
The traffic thing I can agree with, but I will say, the 10spd is a bit finicky in traffic for me. It tries to hold on to first gear a little to long and then lurches forward just as I'm about to need the brakes... With all of the sensors on these, you'd think the computers would be able to dynamically adjust shift curves.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire