Different method for LED switches

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JTKustoms

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So i know there is a write up below me on how to do an LED swap on switches, but i am a new member and did this over the winter but slightly different so i figured i'd show how i did mine. I know this isnt the best way but it worked out great for me and i havent had any problems since. I used 5mm 12V prewired leds that i got on ebay (100 for 20$).

So i first took out the switch and took it apart down to where you can see the stock green LEDs, i pulled all of those out and cut off the posts that they sit in so that the surface was flat. I then simply superglued the new leds directly on top of where the old mounting posts used to be and ran all the wires in a similar direction. Then i cut holes in the side of the plastic shell to allow all the wires to run out of the switch. Once i had all the wires out of the switch and it all assembled back together i just combined all the positives and all the negatives, so now that i no longer needed the switch to be getting the illumination power i cut the illumination wires that run to it (on my truck it was a blue with pink stripe postive wire and a black ground) and connected those to the positive and negative wires for all the new leds and soldered them together.

Attachments

• image_3.jpg
    image_3.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 179
  • image_4.jpg
    image_4.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 177
  • image_2.jpg
    image_2.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 201
  • image_1.jpg
    image_1.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 191
OP
OP
JTKustoms

JTKustoms

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This method was for my driver door master switch panel, for the other door switches i needed to drill holes through where the plugs plug into the switch and ran the wires that way but wired them the same as i decribed above

Attachments

• image_4.jpg
    image_4.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 147
  • image_5.jpg
    image_5.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 138

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
that works too. i still want to do this. but in red. to match my paint. im going for a red theme.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you werent in MA i'd have you do mine...i forgot dude's name in MD that said he'd do it...but he's 2 1/2 to 3hrs away...IS THERE ANYONE CLOSER?!?!?!?!?!?!!!

OP
OP
JTKustoms

JTKustoms

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yeah it would get annoying real quick if i did them all at home but i took all the switches into college with me after break over winter and just worked on them in my free time so when i came back home i had them all ready to be put back in. I also put the same LEDs in my rear ac controls, front ac controls, and my overhead sunroof controls as well as putting a blue voltage meter where the stock green fuel and direction readout was on that overhead control

Attachments

• image_4.jpg
    image_4.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 141
  • image_3.jpg
    image_3.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 131
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 138
OP
OP
JTKustoms

JTKustoms

Full Access Members
Reaction score
thanks man, only part left to change over to blue is my gauges but ive heard i can just do twist in led bulbs so i'll probably just do that since i dont feel like cutting up the gauges now that i'm driving it daily again

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Ross, the "dude from MD" is me. If I was still living in Norfolk, I would tell you to come over, but you missed me by a few years (moved away in 2009). If I happen to make my way down to VA, I will let you know. There's a few guys from my Jag club that are down that way and may end up down there soon.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my bad...i couldnt remember your name...well i only have this month because i head out for training in then out to Iraq...wont be back until March sometime...hopefully

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire