Differential question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
mschiap

mschiap

Reaction score
The OP could give me his vin number, or even just the last 8 digits and I can tell you if it's an open diff or not. (I work @ ford)

Thanks much, I sent you a message with my VIN.

Derp

Reaction score
IMO tires make a big difference on greasy mud or ice, particularly when you add grade. I'm assuming the road is smooth and all 4 tires are staying on the ground?

OP
OP
mschiap

mschiap

Reaction score
It's a smooth dirt road, with a litte gravel on top. But a fairly steep uphill section. Rear tires with deeper tread are probably the easiest improvement.

If there is no LSD in the rear, I think I am going to install Eaton TrueTrac 915A550 as it will help keep power going to rear wheels off-road without being intrusive on dry pavement. Also, as this is a Torsen style LSD unit, there are no clutch packs to wear out, as user 762mm cautioned.

Derp

Reaction score
Id be interested how it goes with the TrueTrac. I have open diffs too and might look to do something about it down the road.

OP
OP
mschiap

mschiap

Reaction score
Thanks to user WEDGE, confirmed my differentials are "open."

I'm planning to add a Torsen in the rear, as this type of LSD is unobtrusive a (no lockup causing problems on pavement in dry or the rain, and no maintenance.) Torsen style LSD comes from factory in my Hummer H1, Mazda Miata and RX7, and I have found them to be a good compromise.

I'll post once I get the LSD installed.

Id be interested how it goes with the TrueTrac. I have open diffs too and might look to do something about it down the road.

Dr0idattack

Reaction score
Back to an earlier comment, the stock tires aren’t the best for towing. So if this appears to be a tire issue, you might explore going to an LT tire with better traction.

Congage

Reaction score
Up here in Wyoming. 7 -8 months of winter. 1300 ft driveway. 2 -10 % grades. 1 tire choice. BF Goodrich KO2.
I run them on 2xF250 and 2xF150 plus my 2017 Expedition El. Never a problem of any kind.

Derp

Reaction score
Up here in Wyoming. 7 -8 months of winter. 1300 ft driveway. 2 -10 % grades. 1 tire choice. BF Goodrich KO2.
I run them on 2xF250 and 2xF150 plus my 2017 Expedition El. Never a problem of any kind.

IMO pretty bad tire in mud or deep snow. Works pretty well in on road snowy conditions though. Fantastic in dry on/off road conditions.

Congage

Reaction score
Many choices for many conditions. My son took 1st place with his old Bronco running Ko2's mud bogging. Only 2 ft mud class with 33's on. I pull thru 12-18 inch snow in f250 on ranch every winter and stuck it twice that I remember. Most importantly is they handle all our gravel and rock roads. No flats ever. In our choice of lifestyle these have proven better than expected. Now with slippery dirt road with grade and no 2 to 8 inch ruts to claw up I say good luck.