Differential suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Truetrac is a great upgrade. I have them on my Explorer. Goes pretty much anywhere.

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm on board with everything but the LEDs unless you're putting them in projectors. Don't be THAT guy.

BlueStangGT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just installed a Truetrac in the rear of my 2010 and it works great. I went for the helical gears so there are no friction plates to wear out. If you're spinning a wheel, apply the brakes a bit while stepping on the gas to encourage the LSD to act more locker-ish.

For a full locker that's streetable you're looking at an ARB and all the peripherals that go with it. There aren't a ton of options available. The Raptor has an 9.75 rear e-locker but it's 35 splines while our trucks are 34 splines.

To handle a real good stuck I also installed an Ox selectable locker in the front differential. That may never be needed but it's peace of mind when driving on the beach during an incoming tide.

Truetrac is a great upgrade. I have them on my Explorer. Goes pretty much anywhere.

Agree 100% I put a Truetrac in my Mustang about 10 years ago, best money I've ever spent for a driveline part. Lots of Jeep guys use them also.

RodInPrescott

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also have 3rd generation expedition. Mine has a completely open rear differential, not limited slip. I've done a lot of research on differential options for mine, much of it in earlier threads in this forum and some of it in manufacturers' Websites. I haven't made my decision yet, but can tell you what I've found.

Automatic locking differentials, such as the Detroit Locker, are probably great offroad, in the tougher terrain I'd like to tackle. But they are noisy and jerky on the street, where I also must drive a lot. Muscle car jocks may not care about this, but I do.

A limited slip differential, such as you already have, is a good solution. Yours is probably just worn out. You could have the clutch plates replaced, and anything else in there that's gone bad. Or, you could get an Eaton TrueTrac limited slip differential, which is supposedly available for your rear. These reportedly use a different mechanism that lasts longer than the simple clutch plates. Eaton is the company which also makes the Detroit Locker.

Eaton also makes manual lockers, electric switch activated, but does not have one for our Expeditions. I wish they did.

I believe ARB makes a manual locker for our Expeditions. However, it's air activated rather than electric. That's fine for offroad vehicles that don't get driven many miles otherwise. But when driven many times more miles than the actual offroad use, i.e. on asphalt at highway speeds, the air seals go bad. Also, this method requires that an air compressor & tank be installed.

Ox makes a manual locker for only the front differential of our Expedition. It's activated either electrically or with a cable connected lever. This is definitely the way I'm leaning, and am having a local 4x4 shop work out a proposal for me. Front differential lockers are especially good for offroading in my locale, Arizona, where one must cross many deep sandy dry streambeds, aka 'washes'. When climbing out of such a wash, the front wheels are on dirt and/or rock (and rock could be very smooth). Rear wheels are in sand (much less traction even if you have a rear locker). If the bank you're climbing is steep, you need huge front wheel traction.

Hope this helps.

jmstine

Reaction score
It will be interesting to hear how the TruTrac does in the snow. My Expy has an open diff and have not decided to go with a TruTrac or a LSD, my only concern is snow conditions. Currently it is ok in the snow but we have had light winters lately.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine have been GREAT in snow. Drive like a sane person in RWD and it behaves and gets you through stuff. Drive like a high schooler in RWD and it’s a blast.

In 4wd….. Let’s put it this way. In March 2021 Denver got like 24” of pretty wet/heavy snow. I took my Explorer out and it went anywhere I pointed it. Of course a huge lift and big knobby mud tires helped.

jmstine

Reaction score
ExplorerTom, thanks for the update and confirming my suspicions/hope. My largest concern was not having the safety of one rear wheel not slipping with loss of traction with an open diff scenario, whereas the TruTrac would have both wheels spin with traction loss. At times going nowhere may be safer than going somewhere uncontrolled.