Dilema: Keep 07 EL or find an Excursion?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tojohnso

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You had a hot pass for the race? NICE! I have an '11 EL that I'm going to haul my 24' TT about 6 hours away. Can't wait to see how it does compared to my '99 EB.

I wanted a diesel excursion as well, but never found one that wasn't lifted, had "low" miles, and the owner wanted a reasonable price. I'm pretty happy with what I have though.

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i think you made a good choice

a diesel makes since if your going to keep it forever and tow ALOT

with the extra cost of maintanence it takes over 100k miles for the extra fuel mileage to actually save money over a gasser

BIGRED03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Glad to hear you pulled it with no problem. I want to rent one first to take to the N.C./Tenn. Mtns. to see if we like it. I just got to figure out how to get the m/c there as well.
The last Excursion was in 2005 (with diesels even rarer) and are not getting any newer. I think you will simply spend money and trade problems.

Last edited:

VTfireftr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I bought my Expedition in 2011, I too was looking for a "clean" Excursion with the 7.3 Powerstroke engine. I couldn't find anything with a price I thought was reasonable for a truck almost 10 years old. I bought a 2008 Eddie Bauer instead.

That being said, I still own a 2005 F250 with the 6.0 Powerstroke. Not a good engine, but I do have over 210K miles on the truck. I have an appointment in September to have "top end" job on the engine. I figure I can spend about $2500 and run the truck for another 200K miles. I use the Expedition for road trips, toting our 3 dogs around, and pulling the wife's and my motorcyles. I use the F250 to tow just about everything else, including both my Kioti and friend's Kubota tractors (minimum weight 8K pounds).

Now if we could just get Ford to put the new Transit diesel in the new Expedition. We can hope.

Last edited:

BIGRED03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I bought my Expedition in 2011, I too was looking for a "clean" Excursion with the 7.3 Powerstroke engine. I couldn't find anything with a price I thought was reasonable for a truck almost 10 years old. I bought a 2008 Eddie Bauer instead.

That being said, I still own a 2005 F250 with the 6.0 Powerstroke. Not a good engine, but I do have over 210K miles on the truck. I have an appointment in September to have "top end" job on the engine. I figure I can spend about $2500 and run the truck for another 200K miles. I use the Expedition for road trips, toting our 3 dogs around, and pulling the wife's and my motorcyles. I use the F250 to tow just about everything else, including both my Kioti and friend's Kubota tractors (minimum weight 8K pounds).

Now if we could just get Ford to put the new Transit diesel in the new Expedition. We can hope.

Diesel not happening this year according to Ford.com I have a diesel Jeep Grand Cherokee with a MB engine for around town now.

Last edited: