DIN question...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigDaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OK, since i have the inevitable "Empty Mag" message from my CD changer, I am (halfheartedly) looking to replace the stock stereo with something else. I ran across this on Crutchfield. Now, I am not going to spend $600 on a head unit, no matter how cool it is, but it does bring up a question.

The Crutchfield guide says that it will not fit my Ex. I was under the assumption that the stock radio was a double DIN radio. I take it that it is not a double, but rather a 1.5 DIN? If so, are there any head units out there to fit? I do NOT want one of the mounting kits that simply fills up the extra space or gives me that useless "one CD" shelf/holder thingie...

FordRacing1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What year model do you have? if its a 97-02 its a din and a half but with a little modification you canmake it fit. Sonicelectronix.com is where i buy all my stuff and you get a free dash kit and wiring harness with every cd player you buy. you should look there before crutchfield. I know crutchfield is good but I have ordered many things from Sonic and they are top notch

2blackfordrides

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What were the modifications.... I am looking at putting a double din with nav in my 99 eb and wanted to know what im looking at for mods to get it to fit... Thanks

hardlife

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Couple sharp blades and the usual tools. You have to cut the divider off between the air controls and the radio viod. Also take out that back metal braket behind the stock radio. Slso trim the plastic trim that ramps down behind and above the void. Good luck.

2blackfordrides

Full Access Members
Reaction score
thanks..... i will take a look at it when i get a chance... thanks for the info... i wasnt sure what other people had done and didnt wanna do something i didnt need to do....