Disabling the Chime

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G

Man I hate the chime on my 2003 Expy, and I need to find out how to completely disable it, or at least how to disable the seat belt warning and the key in ignition warning.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

monsta

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Belt-Minder feature disable instructions are in the manual.

You can pull the key tumbler and tape over the contact in it. I will be doing mine today so I'll post pics on ow to do it.

I, too, hate it! :p

OP
OP
G

Thanks Monsta,

If I am not mistaken, the belt minder disable only disables the repeating reminders, but not the initial reminder. I cannot figure out how to disable the intial chime. Am I wrong?

I look forward to seeing your procedure on how to diable the key in minder.

Thanks

monsta

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Originally posted by tperk100
Thanks Monsta,

If I am not mistaken, the belt minder disable only disables the repeating reminders, but not the initial reminder... Am I wrong?

I look forward to seeing your procedure on how to diable the key in minder.

Thanks

Nope, you are right. I thought you meant the repeating reminder... :rolleyes: sorry...

The procedure might have to wait until tomorrow morning (Hawaii time, I'm 5 hours behind EST.) I have to work this evening.

If it works on the Expy (worked on my Excursion) it is quite simple.

-Remove the plastic that surrounds the steering column.
-Under the key tumbler is a hole that an awl or someting similar can fit in.
-With the key in the ON position but the engine NOT running, put the awl in the holeand pull the tumbler out.
-You'll see a brass contact.
-Cover the brass contact with a small piece of electrical tape.
-reinsert the tumbler
-Turn key to off and make sure everthing is set in place and working.
-Replace plastic surround.

This will stop the key from setting off the chime when it is placed or left in the ignition when the ognition is OFF.

I'l post pics tomorrow. :)

OP
OP
G

I suppose there is a wire in the seat belt that could be disconected to stop the initial reminder. I will look for it, and will post if I can find it.

OP
OP
G

This procedure is outlined in the owners manual. Check it out.

OP
OP
G

Hey Guest.

Tell me where in the owners manual are the instructions to disable the FIRST seat belt warning chime.

Thanks

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
expresspedition