Disabled Auto Engine Off But Still Shuts Off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RosaryPea

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Expedition. I have gone through the settings using my steering wheel controls and disabled the Auto Engine Off - 30 min. Max Idle. I do not want my truck to shut itself off EVER. But after awhile (30mins) I get the message to “Push OK” to keep my vehicle running. And if I’m not in the driver’s seat, I don’t see the message and the truck shuts off. I keep going back to the settings and it shows as disabled. How do I make this setting permanent? If I want my truck to run for 1 or 2 or 6 hours, idling in park, I should be able to.

Alwaysthinkin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2020 Expedition. I have gone through the settings using my steering wheel controls and disabled the Auto Engine Off - 30 min. Max Idle. I do not want my truck to shut itself off EVER. But after awhile (30mins) I get the message to “Push OK” to keep my vehicle running. And if I’m not in the driver’s seat, I don’t see the message and the truck shuts off. I keep going back to the settings and it shows as disabled. How do I make this setting permanent? If I want my truck to run for 1 or 2 or 6 hours, idling in park, I should be able to.
Welcome to the forum @RosaryPea !
You might want to read this link.

I own a 2020 and the Auto Stop Eliminator works perfectly for me.

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum @RosaryPea !
You might want to read this link.

I own a 2020 and the Auto Stop Eliminator works perfectly for me.
The OP is not talking about the Auto Start Stop feature. They are referring to the auto engine off at idle.

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I do believe that setting does not persist through key cycles. It goes back to default shutting the engine off after 30min idle time. However, once disabled in the current key on it should not shut down the engine. I have used this when updating the Sync system where a Nav update will take almost an hour and the engine did not shut off.

OP
OP
R

RosaryPea

Reaction score
I do believe that setting does not persist through key cycles. It goes back to default shutting the engine off after 30min idle time. However, once disabled in the current key on it should not shut down the engine. I have used this when updating the Sync system where a Nav update will take almost an hour and the engine did not shut off.
I wondered that, but when I go back to look at the settings, it’s still disabled/unchecked. But if it does reset between key cycles, they could’ve just made it easier by a push button like the auto start/stop button I have to push every single time I start my truck.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wondered that, but when I go back to look at the settings, it’s still disabled/unchecked. But if it does reset between key cycles, they could’ve just made it easier by a push button like the auto start/stop button I have to push every single time I start my truck.
It’s rare for people to need a vehicle to run without a driver for 30 minutes.
For the exceptions they have the feature you access in the menu.
Same situation for people towing the vehicle in neutral, not used often so you need to access it through steps.

OP
OP
R

RosaryPea

Reaction score
It’s rare for people to need a vehicle to run without a driver for 30 minutes.
For the exceptions they have the feature you access in the menu.
Same situation for people towing the vehicle in neutral, not used often so you need to access it through steps.
I understand that it’s not typical for people to run their vehicles that long without a driver. I just was hoping to find a permanent solution so that I can because I’m in the group of rare people that need to run their vehicles for extended periods of time. I was under the impression that accessing it through the steps was permanent given that it stays marked as disabled even after multiple key cycles.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I understand that it’s not typical for people to run their vehicles that long without a driver. I just was hoping to find a permanent solution so that I can because I’m in the group of rare people that need to run their vehicles for extended periods of time. I was under the impression that accessing it through the steps was permanent given that it stays marked as disabled even after multiple key cycles.
Check forscan. Police have the option for extended idle and they don’t select it every time. I don’t know if expedition has the same option as the explorer. They are different platforms but some features might carry over.

BMW2FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is there a second key in the vehicle or close to it when you set this setting? Some are key specific and if it sees two keys it might not be able to retain the setting.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waleedalmadani