Two chime noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CassRose47

Reaction score
I have a 2023 Limited Max Stealth that we bought a couple of months ago after trading in my 18 Limited Max with almost 140k miles on it.

I’ll randomly hear it make two chimes in quick succession but there are no visual alerts that I’ve seen and it only ever does it once. I have tried to recreate it with no luck and I couldn’t find anything in the manual.

It’s not a lot to go on, I know, but any insight is appreciated!

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2023 Limited Max Stealth that we bought a couple of months ago after trading in my 18 Limited Max with almost 140k miles on it.

I’ll randomly hear it make two chimes in quick succession but there are no visual alerts that I’ve seen and it only ever does it once. I have tried to recreate it with no luck and I couldn’t find anything in the manual.

Does it sound like a door chime or like the nav is telling you there is traffic on your route?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score

More information would be helpful regarding the chimes.

When the engine is running? When the engine is off? When the vehicle is being driven? When engine is off and the driver exits the vehicle? When the engine is running and a passenger exits the vehicle. When the engine is running and the driver exits the vehicle? When the engine is running and the transmission is shifted into gear? Has the vehicle been scanned for any stored trouble codes?

OP
OP
C

CassRose47

Reaction score
Does it sound like a door chime or like the nav is telling you there is traffic on your route?
I don’t use the car’s built in nav so I’m not sure. I only use CarPlay. And my doors don’t have a chime that I’ve ever heard. It’s a very “courteous” sounding chime. Not “angry” like when the pre-collision sounds or anything.

OP
OP
C

CassRose47

Reaction score
More information would be helpful regarding the chimes.

When the engine is running? When the engine is off? When the vehicle is being driven? When engine is off and the driver exits the vehicle? When the engine is running and a passenger exits the vehicle. When the engine is running and the driver exits the vehicle? When the engine is running and the transmission is shifted into gear? Has the vehicle been scanned for any stored trouble codes?
It’s when the car is on. I feel like it’s mostly when I’m stopped but the car is in drive so I didn’t know if it was a driver alert sound but it doesn’t give a message in the cluster like when using LKA.

ElectrifyCLT

Reaction score
I don’t use the car’s built in nav so I’m not sure. I only use CarPlay. And my doors don’t have a chime that I’ve ever heard. It’s a very “courteous” sounding chime. Not “angry” like when the pre-collision sounds or anything.

I believe this is the Nav chime letting you know there's traffic ahead. Despite you not using in car Nav, the car "learns" routes you frequent and time of day. I finally figured this out in my Mach-E and have had it happen in the Expedition as well.

Even if you're not using the nav, sometimes (but not always) it picks up that you're on a common route, and will give you traffic notices when you're coming up on traffic.

I haven't looked into a way to turn it off, but I suspect there has to be?

mwar99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I believe this is the Nav chime letting you know there's traffic ahead. Despite you not using in car Nav, the car "learns" routes you frequent and time of day. I finally figured this out in my Mach-E and have had it happen in the Expedition as well.

Even if you're not using the nav, sometimes (but not always) it picks up that you're on a common route, and will give you traffic notices when you're coming up on traffic.

I haven't looked into a way to turn it off, but I suspect there has to be?
I agree that this is probably it. When I drive to work it will tell me the timing of the delay because of traffic even if I am not using the nav. Haven't looked to see if it can be turned off either. But directions/traffic info using the nav with the sound off will notify of changes with two chimes.

m3olsen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am so glad to see this chain started! Those two dings have been driving me nuts and I just hadn't gotten around to posting. It will surprise me if it's actually the navigation, but I will play with it some more and see if I can make the connection. Thanks all who contributed here.

ElectrifyCLT

Reaction score
I am so glad to see this chain started! Those two dings have been driving me nuts and I just hadn't gotten around to posting. It will surprise me if it's actually the navigation, but I will play with it some more and see if I can make the connection. Thanks all who contributed here.

Next time you hear it click the Nav tab as soon as you do. You'll see a box with a predicted time delay and section of upcoming road highlighted yellow or red.