Display stuck on tow mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Faik

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2020 Expedition with tow package. Every time after disconnecting the RV trailer, the display is stuck on tow mode. But, when I go through the tow screens the system shows that no trailer is attached. Every time the engine is started, the display shows tow mode and I manually have to reset it to regular trip mode. I couldn't find any info online. I took the car to the dealership they did deleted the trailer and told me every time I hook up the trailer I had to add the trailer information. I know this isn't true because the 1st 3 times (5000 miles) I used the towing for my trailer, the car retained all of the trailer information including mileage for towing. I called Ford customer service which suggested contacting "In vehicle tech" department (866-421-1829). They put me on hold and checked all their literatures. Person told me she couldn't find any information and suggested to contact the dealership. I told her I already took it to the dealership and they couldn't help.

In the mean time I updated SYNC 4.3 and hope that will solve the problem.

Please let me know if anyone experienced the same problem or has any idea how to solve it. Thanks.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have you tried making sure your Expedition is running while you disconnect the trailer’s wiring harness?

Tuck

Reaction score
Go to select trailer. Select the “no trailer” option.
This. From what I've worked out on mine when I disconnect the trailer the system won't find an active trailer but it's still loaded in the system as the active trailer and the startup screen is towing. You have to manually tell it to stop tracking the trailer when you disconnect it. The screens will then start showing your last screen on startup but until you tell it no trailer is active (even though it doesn't detect one) it will start up at the towing screen.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This. From what I've worked out on mine when I disconnect the trailer the system won't find an active trailer but it's still loaded in the system as the active trailer and the startup screen is towing. You have to manually tell it to stop tracking the trailer when you disconnect it. The screens will then start showing your last screen on startup but until you tell it no trailer is active (even though it doesn't detect one) it will start up at the towing screen.
If you disconnect the Trailer with the vehicle running, you won't have this issue.