Do Gen 3’s Spy on Us??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RogerD1959

2.5 Months Ltr, and Final Bill 22K+
Reaction score
Fair enough :) sorry, I didn’t mean to start a large scale debate...just sort of tumbled down the rabbit hole. I apologize.

But to get back to the subject...does the Gen3 collect information about you?

To the best of my knowledge...

1. According the owner’s manual, the truck does keep a running record of various mechanical logs related to vehicle function (such as vehicle speed, seat belt status, etc.) that can be accessed by law enforcement or other professionals using the proper tools. (folks here have already mentioned the “black box”) As I understand it, this data is not transmitted outside the vehicle and must be accessed via the OBDII port using a special scan tool. I do not know of any way to disable that functionality. It may not even be possible to do so, as there may be some legal requirements for such functionality; I honestly don’t know, that would require more research. You can find the legal notice for the event recorder in your owners manual.

2. Gen 3 Expys did not have the option to include a cellular modem or other cellular telematics from the factory. You can however add this functionality with devices such as Ford Pass Connect or Ford Custom Accessories Cellular Remote Start, but it requires an additional piece of hardware post production.

3. Gen 3 Expys DO have WiFi capabilities from the factory. It is used for updating the SYNC software, navigation maps and other various software updates. However, you have the option to turn this off.

4. Gen 3 Expys DO have satellite receivers and decoders for SiriusXM radio and SiriusXM data functionality (I.e. Sirius Live Weather and Traffic), but I do not believe they have satellite modems for talking back, it’s receive only.

5. Gen 3 Expys do have the ability to receive transmissions on the FM and AM radio bands, including HD Radio digital transmissions and metadata embedded into FM radio transmissions. (Radio Data Services or RDS; used for providing station information, current song information and localized traffic data for use within GPS systems) However, I do not believe there are any transmission capabilities on these bands, it’s receive only. I also believe you have the option to turn off HD Radio and RDS functionality.

6. Gen 3 Expys do have a feature called 911 Assist within SYNC, which will automatically dial emergency services using your connected mobile device, in the event of an airbag deployment or other crash sensor activation. When you first connect a device, I believe you are asked if you want to turn this feature on. Regardless, you have the option of turning it off.

7. Parking sensors, keyless entry and blind spot sensors do transmit some form of radio wavelength to operate, but their range is incredibly short and it’s highly unlikely that it includes transmit any personally identifiable information.

8. Gen 3 Expys do have a microphone in the cabin for hands free telephony and a camera on the rear tailgate for backup camera functionality. To the best of my knowledge, these devices are only active when being used and do not have any data storage capabilities.

9. Gen 3 Expys do have Bluetooth radios included from the factory for cellular phone or other Bluetooth enabled device connectivity. You have the option to turn this off.

10. Gen 3 Expys do have USB connectivity ports which can be used to connect cellular phones, media players or other USB compatible devices. You have the option to not use USB devices.

Could there be some secret thing doing something that FoMoCo doesn’t tell anyone? Sure, but the same could be said about anything you buy today. If such a thing existed and was discovered, FoMoCo’s brand would be severely damaged and lawsuits would fly.

All this said and assuming your concerns are centered around personal privacy; if you turn off the WiFi networking, turn off the Bluetooth radios and do not connect your mobile device to the truck, it’s probably safe to assume no personally identifiable data is being transmitted from your vehicle.

The answers above are a hobbyist opinion and best attempt to answer the questions provided. I encourage you to make your own conclusions. I do not encourage or advise you to use the information above as a basis for any legal proceeding or for the purpose of committing a crime.
Oh No! The 2017's and up have a ATT cellular modem built in for Ford Connect. Something like that, it works with Ford Pass. You can remote start, remote lock, see the gas level, and get health reports, all via, guess what, your cell phone. I think the ask is a subscription fee, and, "Non identifiable data about every move you make, probably what you say while in the vehicle." Since 2004 the black box records audio, equipment motion, position, speed, etc. In a continuous 30 second loop. When you crash it preserves the last 30 seconds up to impact. So the car company can improve safety. So why is it again Law enforcement gets their hands on it BEFORE, the car company? See you in court!

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score

RogerD1959

2.5 Months Ltr, and Final Bill 22K+
Reaction score
Oh No! The 2017's and up have a ATT cellular modem built in for Ford Connect. Something like that, it works with Ford Pass. You can remote start, remote lock, see the gas level, and get health reports, all via, guess what, your cell phone. I think the ask is a subscription fee, and, "Non identifiable data about every move you make, probably what you say while in the vehicle." Since 2004 the black box records audio, equipment motion, position, speed, etc. In a continuous 30 second loop. When you crash it preserves the last 30 seconds up to impact. So the car company can improve safety. So why is it again Law enforcement gets their hands on it BEFORE, the car company? See you in court!

Thanks for that! When these things first went into vehicles I recall that privacy group having a hissey fit over it. Back then the car companies swore they were the only ones to see the data, it would not be shared with anyone. I work in Aviation Accident Analytics, so I have a good bit of involvement with law enforcement, as they and C.A.P. have to help keep the accident site secure. So to say we talk about stuff is a understatement. In going over the physical evidence at the site the black box on the aircraft is brought up. Has it been found, what's on it, etc. Several times I have been able to steer the discussion to the one in the vehicle, usually at a site where the aircraft did not have flight recorders cause it wasn't required to. I have been told, more than once by a Law enforcement officer. They want the data ASAP, especially if the crash involved a fatality or catastrophic injury. The also want the G.P.S., data if the vehicle is equipped with that equipment. Some departments even have the equipment to pull the G.P.S. data, and extract the crash recorders data at the accident site. Personally I would think a search warrant would be needed, but they say no, because the system is open for the car companies to get the data with out the vehicle owners permission, it's fair game for law enforcement. They compare it with driver statements, witnesses statements, to determine who may be at fault, was someone impaired, accident reconstruction, is someone not being truthful. Could be they are jerking me around, but I don't think so. Indeed the audio could be urban legend, but a few years back that same privacy group was up in arms about that. Once again it was necessary for Accident reconstruction data not shared. While I am aware of court cases where the data was used, a citation issued based on, "reconstruction evidence," every ones day in court comes to fight over the citation, guilt or innocence, is determined. I have not yet heard or seen a case where the alleged audio was used. In aviation accidents there is a boat load of data to be gleaned from the audio recorder. It's not there just to see what the pilots were chatting about. We can tell where a decompression event, or bomb blast originated, alarm sequences, what flight envelope the aircraft was flying in, the audio recorder is sometimes more informative than the F.D.R. No clue why German Wings slammed a plane full passengers into a mountain. Actually German Wings didn't do it, their employee, the co-pilot did. And he did a test run the day prior, sadly all those people died at the hands of a deeply depressed, mentally compromised, co-pilot. The audio recorder answered all the questions as to how that crash occurred, except why nobody picked up on the co-pilot's mental health state. Allegedly the hands free is the open mic., snatching its 30 second loop, I did hear now it's 60 seconds. From that data they can do the same as we can, though it's a very short snippet, still a lot can be gleaned from it. Except for the one in my Expedition. With music on demand and playlists you make, if I'm driving alone, the highest number on the volume control is 30 and that's where I keep it. Ford got it flawlessly pitch perfect with the Sony system they put in there, no distortion, it's a real jaw dropper. They will just hear club music, dance, stuff with rythm and a beat, I doubt that they, or myself, will hear the crash. I pay close attention to what is going on while driving, deaf people drive, I'm sound deaf, it's my escape from all the B.S., we are slammed with day in and day out. Perhaps there are a few law enforcement officials here who can settle this???? Do you have access to the vehicle event recorder? Can you download data on site? Do some record audio? What do you use to data for? I appreciate the information provided thus far. Will we ever know the real truth? Who knows, privacy was a lot more private before they stopped using your SSN as your drivers license number, and silicon chip filled thingy's proliferated our lives. Now, and Amazon confirmed it, Alexa randomly snatches a sound snippet from your home, car, where ever Alexa is, for product development and research. So why is Google, "Ok Google," a thousand times better than Alexa at doing all the things she can, and more. Rairly does the British Google voice tell me, "I don't know that." So what is Amazon really up to, Alexa is dingy, dumb, and silly stupid! In closing, do we have control, custody, total privacy, regarding anything in our lives today? Who really knows? For me, I wrote privacy off around 2001, somebody knows a snippet about me somewhere. Put all those somebodies together in a room and you have my entire life from birth to death. I just hope some data mining company never puts all the somebodies in the same room, for now it's all the privacy I have. And another novella hits the forum! LOL.

Dorzak

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am only on Page 2 but a couple of things. My 2016 XLT purchased as a CPO in early 2018.

• Has a AutoSense sticker on it. This is a company that installs trackers for fleets. I have been told it was removed. It would be connected to the OBD port, and it isn't there. I left the sticker as a theft deterrent. I suspect this is why I have some extra wires hanging down in that area.
  • Some Lease agreements and loan agreements require tracker installation. The dealer will charge a fee to install that if it is the case.
  • Setting up Sync 3 it prompted if I wanted to let it use my cell phone when connected to upload data to Ford on vehicle performance and location information if the autodial 911 feature is enabled.