Does anyone use the door code instead of key to access vehicle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How does Ford prevent theft of the vehicle? I have not used the key pad.
If they key is in the car and a window is smashed to steal something from inside could the thief drive off then with the car?
Well, yea. But don't put the key in plain sight and no one would know it's in there.

FunkyFuzz1833

Reaction score
The Key-Pad is the only thing I use. I havent carried the key around since I started driving Fords 10 years ago. So much easier to just have access without having to look for the key. Also, with Ford Pass, you can lock and unlock the vehicle.

Works great when I am running in somewhere and want to leave the truck running for the dog, in Florida.

Judah144

Reaction score
I love this feature. I used all the time on my F150 when I would need to get something out of the truck quick as I put my keys on a key hook away from the front door. I also like using the 7-9 buttons to lock the doors even if I don't have the key near by to use the touch sensors on the handle. I just purchased my Expedition and unfortunately the key code card did not come with the vehicle and I only have one key so I can't find the code until I get an additional key.

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nissan used it back in the 90's. My 1990 (?) Maxima had it. I, also, don't understand why other manufacturers don't do it. I guess in today's world of apps, it's not really needed.

Fasttimes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One of my favorite Ford features, I use it all the time. Gym, grocery store, hikes, you name it. I got 20 keys on my ring, I don't need that weight.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I often use the code in the summer/winter when I am out with my dogs. It lets me lock the truck running w/ AC/heat on while I run into the store for 5-10 mins. It's also convenient if the Mrs and I are out shopping and split up. If she gets done before I do she can can go sit in the truck if she wants without us having to take our $200 spare key along.

hughes022

Reaction score
I love this feature. I used all the time on my F150 when I would need to get something out of the truck quick as I put my keys on a key hook away from the front door. I also like using the 7-9 buttons to lock the doors even if I don't have the key near by to use the touch sensors on the handle. I just purchased my Expedition and unfortunately the key code card did not come with the vehicle and I only have one key so I can't find the code until I get an additional key.
Have you tried looking through the settings menus in the sync screens? I'm pretty certain the factory code is there, unless that's why you're saying you need the additional key...

hughes022

Reaction score
Same here though, love love love the keypad feature. Had it on my 1998 Explorer and every vehicle since. It's a requirement for any Ford vehicle we own from now until they stop

GixxerJasen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I set mine up but have yet to use it besides testing it. Now I'm looking for reasons to use it. I like the idea of leaving the key behind when mountain biking but it's so easy to zipper it up in my camelbak.

doubleeagle45

Reaction score
Most typical use case for us is the shopping trip parking lot. Recently out with my family and got a gift for one of the kids. Slipped out to my fathers Expy and put the bag in without having to alert anyone else by asking Grandpa for his key…. he loves it and I am looking forward to it on our new one too.