Does the 2022 Timberline Expedition ride different than the other models?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tacoman

Reaction score
I currently drive a 2018 XLT Expedition, but I'm probably going to trade it in for a 2022 Timberline Expedition (a green one with the black rims). As much as I like the upgraded 4x4 system and will use it occasionally in the snow/mud, 95% of the driving I do is on ordinary paved roads. Does anyone have any thoughts on how differently the Timberline will ride than my current XLT on pavement? I see the Timberline has beefier tires and different suspension, but I'm wondering if that translates into a stiffer/bumpier/noisier ride on paved roads. Thoughts? Thank you!

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I currently drive a 2018 XLT Expedition, but I'm probably going to trade it in for a 2022 Timberline Expedition (a green one with the black rims). As much as I like the upgraded 4x4 system and will use it occasionally in the snow/mud, 95% of the driving I do is on ordinary paved roads. Does anyone have any thoughts on how differently the Timberline will ride than my current XLT on pavement? I see the Timberline has beefier tires and different suspension, but I'm wondering if that translates into a stiffer/bumpier/noisier ride on paved roads. Thoughts? Thank you!

Perhaps test-drive the one you intend to trade-in your current vehicle for? Or test-drive a similar Timberline model?

Pawpaw

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Is your 2018 a 4x4? The new Timberline is the new FX4 model. Even with lightly tweaked shocks and running Goodyear P rated all terrain tires it should ride OK. I bought a 2021 FX4 a few months ago and it rode pretty smooth with the P rated Michelins it came with. After a few thousand miles the suspension will loosen up and the ride should be smoother. I put a set of BFG KO2's on my stock wheels and running at 42psi cold the ride is not much rougher then the stock tires. More controlled in the rear with the stiffer 3 ply sidewalls on the BFG's.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The only thing that should change is quietness. Even with the anc, it'll probably be louder. As for ride, it maybe slightly more compliant and somewhat softer, but not by much. Noone has driven a 2022 to noteany of the ride differences between the current refresh and pre refresh.

OP
OP
T

tacoman

Reaction score
Is your 2018 a 4x4?
Yup, the 2018 is a 4x4. So it sounds like what you’re saying is that it may ride a little different, but it’s not going to be a major change from what I’m used to.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Noone knows, noone here has bought or driven a 22 to kno how it it even rides.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yup, the 2018 is a 4x4. So it sounds like what you’re saying is that it may ride a little different, but it’s not going to be a major change from what I’m used to.
Correct. The reality of the situation is that you won't find one on a lot for a year.

Pawpaw

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Correct. I found that my stock tires unless aired up to almost 40 psi cold took a lot of the roly-poly feel from the rear suspension. I put some stiffer sidewall 10 ply tires and it took a lot of the sear sway out. I'm guessing the Timberline will act the same.

TimberExpy

Reaction score
I realize that this thread is about 4 months old now.... but, yes, my '22 Timber rides differently than my '21 4X2 Limited/Stealth did.

But that's expected, considering the Stealth had those huge 22" wheels with low profile Pirelli tires, and now I'm on meatier Goodyear Wranglers on 18" wheels.

The ride is more "cushy" now, but that's to be expected with such a drastic change of tire. How much of this difference is due to any other change in the suspension is hard for me to say.