Does your Expy hatch clear the electric trailer tongue lift?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steve Patterson

Reaction score
I am purchasing a Grand Design Imagine Travel Trailer to be towed with my 2015 Expedition Shorty. Should I expect the Expedition hatch to clear the electric tongue lift mechanism on my TT? I am worried I will have to detach the trailer to open the TV hatch door. (and let dogs in and out multiple times a day when traveling). Below is a photo of the actual TT I am purchasing. It will be attached via a Blue Ox WDH.IMG_2679.JPG

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Wtf happened to the good old days of spinning the tounge lift?

Anyway regardless of what you're using find the specs of the system total height after it has been attached to your hitch reciever, then measure the distance the top of the electronic lift head is to your hatch, measure the degree of lift your hatch opens at to determine if it'll clear or not, remember all these measurements will significantly work against you if you park the trailer at a decline but your truck at an incline as the measurements will tighten up significantly then. I dont kno why you chose an electric lift but I can imagine multiple reasons so I'm not gonna hold u to it but dont expect technology to solve all common sense problems all at once!

Meeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2016 Keystone Cougar, and my tailgate hits the electric tongue jack. Looking at your photo, it looks like your jack is taller and closer to the ball than mine, so I almost guarantee it'll hit. Sorry...

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
You know... a 10" hitch reciever instead of the regular 6" can solve all your problems!

Meeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What does the 10" do? Is it putting the ball farther back from the Expy? Or does it lower the ball?

I'm not a fan of either solution. Moving it back farther effectively increases the weight on the rear axle and lightens the front axle. The closer to the rear axle the better as far as I'm concerned.

Moving it lower affects the trailer attitude - it should be level when towing.

My solution is to not open the back hatch. Use the liftgate glass thingy instead.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It moves the ball (and trailer) farther aft of the rear bumper. When we picked up or trailer from storage this spring with our brand new expy, the old drop shank did not provide enough drop to level the trailer. The only shank available at my local RV store with enough drop was a 12" shank*. As you can see from the picture below (sorry for the crappy cropped cell-phone pic), the 12" shank moves the whole trailer farther away from the hatch. After towing with it for a season, I just replaced it with a normal 8" long shank. The longer shank had the following problems: it moved the pro-trailer backup assist sticker too far away from the bumper for the system to find the sticker**; as mentioned above, the leverage thing means it will move more weight onto the rear axle; also due to leverage the whole thing moves around more as it takes less force to move the hitch left/right or up/down and; it looks silly when the trailer's not attached.

*The length refers to the lateral distance between the center of the receiver pin hole and the center of the holes for attaching the WDH ball mount.
**This fall's task is to teach the wife how to back up the trailer.

12in shank.jpg

DExpy17

Reaction score
have a '18 Freedom Express 292 bhds and it hits the electric jack. My '04 suburan hatch could open. Just sayin'.

cullinan18

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Damn, I'm picking up a Grand Design Imagine 2400bh on the 19th and I didn't even think about the tailgate hiring the tongue jack. That just sounds ridiculous.... Crap.

At least the power tongue jack will make the process slightly less annoying

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have a 2014 PrimeTime Avenger 28BHS and my 2008 EL Expy's tailgate hits the power tongue jack. Dogs go in and out through the passenger doors.

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
I went through this last year when I got sick of spinning the manual jack with my enclosed car trailer. Haulmark ships them with cheap ones I think is half the problem. After I installed my new Ultra Tow and hooked it up to my Expedition I realized the tailgate wouldn't open. WTH?!? After a little thought I looked close at the electric one and it looked like I could loosen four bolts and turn it around. That's what I did and it works awesome.

Old:

25726983378_d14d58ec8d_z.jpgIMG_20180109_091220240

New before turning around:

44550867892_1d02865051_z.jpg20180605_144758

New after turning around:

43691264245_52a2eaa2da_z.jpg20180625_192221

Carefully take these four bolts out and spin the housing around.

43881767564_e3a3dec834_z.jpg20180625_192226