door ajar problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BeDrumm

Reaction score
I have a 1998 xlt. Sometimes the door ajar icon appears even though all of the doors and rear gate and window are closed.

blkexp

Reaction score
I had the same problem on a 2003 xlt. I took it to the dealer and they told me that it was a bad switch in the drivers side door panel. Replaced switch, problem solved... however there are some old threads on this sight which recommend spraying the inside of all doors (where the door latches) with wd-40 to resolve problem. Good luck!

dreanmachine

Reaction score
Very Interesting! I just experienced this weird issue this past weekend on my 99 EXP EB. The Door Ajar would come on, and then several seconds later it would go off (it never stayed on permanently. All doors and gate closed tightly. We experienced this in a trip where where the climate went from 50 degress to 80 degrees. When I got back to my home at the 50 degrees, the problem no longer manifested. (have not seen it before, and have not seen it since) Doesn't sound like a switch to me. I will try the WD40 on the doors. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

1stexpy

Reaction score
We had the same problem - dealer replaced switch - just picked it up today; hopefully it is fixed!

dreanmachine

Reaction score
What did it cost, and where is the switch located? I went looking in the Electrical Thread of this forum, and there were a few folks that had the same thing manifest with higher outside temperatures. I find this interesting. No switches replaced though. Did you have issues when the temperatures were hotter? Thanks!

1stexpy

Reaction score
It didn't cost anything since we were still under 36K miles so it was covered under warranty. Not sure of the exact part - and NO it wasn't related to higher temps - we live in Maine!!!

dreanmachine

Reaction score
So then, was it an itemittent problem? Did it stay on for long periods, or was it on for 10 seconds or so, then shut off?

1stexpy

Reaction score
It mostly seemed related to the trunk; the door ajar light would come on and stay on for 10-20 minutes while driving, then, magically it would go off, and the doors would automatically lock (which would normally happen right when you start driving). It didn't always happen when we used the trunk, but at least a couple times per week.

jimboh247

Reaction score
With my 99 EB it was the back glass switch. I hit the lock mechanism area with WD-40 and have not had a problem since. I have done all my locks with WD-40. That's some good stuff.