Door ajar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KG974316

Reaction score
My 03 expo always says theres a door ajar. Also i cant get the interior light to go out after i closed the door when i shut it off. Also my o/d light stays on like its off.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

46L281GT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
go though each door while the truck is running and see which door doesn't ding when you open it. i had the same problem and it was my driver's door. 15 dollar sensor and i was good to go.

OP
OP
KG974316

KG974316

Reaction score
Not one of the door dings when there opened so does that mean all of them are bad?

OP
OP
KG974316

KG974316

Reaction score
go though each door while the truck is running and see which door doesn't ding when you open it. i had the same problem and it was my driver's door. 15 dollar sensor and i was good to go.
None of the doors ding when their open. So that means all of em are bad lol

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No. Turn the ignition key to the accessory position and turn the radio on. With the radio ON, turn the key back to the OFF position and open the doors ONE AT A TIME and see which one DOES NOT turn the radio OFF when you open that door. The one that fails to turn the radio OFF has a bad door sensor. The sensors are different between the left and right side of the vehicle, so make sure you order the correct sensor(s). It's typically the driver's door. But on rare occasions you may find the others defective too. Once you get the door latch to a location where you can remove the sensor, a quarter turn counter clockwise releases the sensor. For future reference do not spray WD40 or any oily lubricants into the door latch. The sensor sits at the bottom of the latch and all the oils and lubricants attract dirt and grime into the sensor's plunger and cause it to get stuck.

-Mike

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That is correct. The front doors when opened, should kill the radio. My mistake for leaving that out, thank you.

-Mike

46L281GT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I believe the rear doors will not cause the radio to turn off I could be wrong
Yes that is correct. That's why leaving it running and open one door at a time is the best way to diagnose it.