Door Automatic Unlocking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lobsenza

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is there a way to change the door unlock so they unlock when shifting into park or shutting off the engine as opposed to opening the driver's door?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is there a way to change the door unlock so they unlock when shifting into park or shutting off the engine as opposed to opening the driver's door?

My 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4 will only unlock all the doors if the LF door is opened. I do not like this feature and would prefer that the doors unlock when I placed the transmission shifter in park.

I often wonder if Ford surveys its customers to see what features they want?

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4 will only unlock all the doors if the LF door is opened. I do not like this feature and would prefer that the doors unlock when I placed the transmission shifter in park.

I often wonder if Ford surveys its customers to see what features they want?
I complain about this often that I really don't think the manufacturers have a very big clue as to what people want. And most people are way too easy going and don't really know what they want until they're living with the vehicle. And when they are surveyed they forget about all the little important things like this.
I've had a lot of Lincoln Town Cars and those you can change and the instructions are in the owner's manual.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've had a lot of Lincoln Town Cars and those you can change and the instructions are in the owner's manual.
My wife's Pathfinder lets you select if the doors should unlock when you shift into park, when you turn the engine off, or when you open the door. But I promise 98% of the folks that drive Pathfinders don't know/care that's an adjustable option.

Things like that are nice features but I don't know that they're worth the development and implementation costs for the handful of owners that will know they're there AND care to change it. Plus, something like that is not a go-or-no-go issue when you're buying the vehicle. Usually.

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
on ours i have them set to all unlock with one click on fob,
OR if i shut off vehicle and open a door they all unlock
if i leave engine on and just open drivers door, only it will unlock, this also works when i stop and engine is ON running and a passenger opens their door, then only that door unlocks.
funny thing is if i shut engine off after passenger opens door and closes it..the others remain locked, unless i open driver door.

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i just went out and double checked. if i have engine running and shut it off the doors do click to unlock when i open the driver door
not sure if they always do this,

carjackers, thats a wild bunch..i have read many reports if the door is locked, they just shoot you and break it, its pretty violent crime
unless they are just stealing the car.
neighbor in florida had his jacked as he pulled into his driveway, it was very violent and bloody. they caught the guys but it didnt help the neighbor much as he was pretty much a veggie after wards. after that we started paying attention to who is behind us and who is in our zone when we park anywhere.
these turds followed him home from the hospital where his wife had just given birth. They abandoned the car a few miles away, the police said because the amount of blood and pieces of skull probably made it not worth keeping .

Last edited:

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not being able to change things like that is certainly a deal-breaker for me but I'm an opinionated bastard.
I have always thought it was stupid for auto door locks to unlock when you put it in park because you pull into the parking garage and put your car into park and then you are vulnerable to someone opening your door. If they're going to make them automatic it should be once you turn off the car or take the key out of the ignition. I cannot stand however once that stay locked because then you try to get out or anything but a Ford and you're locked inside. Funny how Ford has always had the front doors open even when they're locked when you pull the handle that GM's never do. This is something they won't get away from apparently. Nothing bothers me more than to be inside a car and try to open the door and it be locked then I have to either hit the button or flip the lever and then open it again.

aporthole

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not being able to change things like that is certainly a deal-breaker for me but I'm an opinionated bastard.
I have always thought it was stupid for auto door locks to unlock when you put it in park because you pull into the parking garage and put your car into park and then you are vulnerable to someone opening your door. If they're going to make them automatic it should be once you turn off the car or take the key out of the ignition. I cannot stand however once that stay locked because then you try to get out or anything but a Ford and you're locked inside. Funny how Ford has always had the front doors open even when they're locked when you pull the handle that GM's never do. This is something they won't get away from apparently. Nothing bothers me more than to be inside a car and try to open the door and it be locked then I have to either hit the button or flip the lever and then open it again.

They are only locked from the outside. When it is in park, you can open any door from the inside.

The times I’ve been bothered by this are when my husband is driving, I’m riding shotgun, he puts it in park to drop me and the kids off but keeps the engine running. I hop out and then go to open one of the rear doors to get the kids out and their doors are locked on the outside. I yell at husband to hit unlock and then all is good. I wish that if any door was opened from the inside, all of the other doors would unlock with the engine running.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65