Door Automatic Unlocking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Fords that lock doors in park or whatever, almost always lock and unlock them all at the same time.
Ford front doors can be opened from inside from just opening the regular way whether they are locked on outside or not. GM doors almost always will not open from inside unless they are in unlocked position. Very ANNOYING. I'm a GM guy or used to be for all my life....not sure I'm an anything guy now...I might be a"transguy" BUT GM doors are enough to make you want to own a Ford.
Same with separate keys for ignition and trunk like they used to do.
They finally stopped that! Not they need to get with the program on door locks!

RhinoQuartz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They are only locked from the outside. When it is in park, you can open any door from the inside.

The times I’ve been bothered by this are when my husband is driving, I’m riding shotgun, he puts it in park to drop me and the kids off but keeps the engine running. I hop out and then go to open one of the rear doors to get the kids out and their doors are locked on the outside. I yell at husband to hit unlock and then all is good. I wish that if any door was opened from the inside, all of the other doors would unlock with the engine running.

Is there not a button to unlock all doors on the passenger side?

OP
OP
L

lobsenza

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think I can override the default action with a wiring change. I have done this on my other Lincoln vehicles. I was hoping the factory changed this, but apparently not. The wiring change is more complex in these SUVs than in my prior Lincolns.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think I can override the default action with a wiring change. I have done this on my other Lincoln vehicles. I was hoping the factory changed this, but apparently not. The wiring change is more complex in these SUVs than in my prior Lincolns.
What's wrong with the Lincoln Factory setup that you have to do a wiring change?

OP
OP
L

lobsenza

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Those in the back seat want to get out before I open my door and can't. I don't have young kids, so that isn't an issue. I would like the doors to unlock when shifting into park or the engine being turned off.

On a side note, because of the auto stop/start, I have been getting into the habit of shutting the car off rather than shifting into park and then shutting the car off. This prevents the unnecessary restart triggered by shifting into park.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Those in the back seat want to get out before I open my door and can't. I don't have young kids, so that isn't an issue. I would like the doors to unlock when shifting into park or the engine being turned off.

On a side note, because of the auto stop/start, I have been getting into the habit of shutting the car off rather than shifting into park and then shutting the car off. This prevents the unnecessary restart triggered by shifting into park.

I have known quite a few cars at when dropping off the kids and stuff the doors will be locked because I'm in gear and I don't want to put it back into park to unlock the doors so I just reach down and hit the unlock button when I pull up. When I first get a car I forget a few times but then it becomes second nature. I've driven limos for 25 years and the first thing I was told by the first guy who ever took me for a ride in a limo when I was looking to buy one was every time you open the door to get out on a limo you hit the door lock button and roll the window down a few inches. If you do not you will soon find yourself either walking back around all the way 35 feet to your door to hit the door lock buttons because the back door was locked when you tried to let the people out and you'll feel stupid or you'll end up with empty vehicle with the keys locked inside of it.. it did get better with the 98s since those will automatically unlock the doors if you hit the door locks with the door open but people still managed to screw up. Plus you're not always driving Lincoln Town Cars. There's Chryslers, and SUVs.
I was just confused when you mentioned you did a wiring change on your Lincoln to change the factory set up. If I remember correctly all of my Lincoln's lock the doors when I shift out of park and unlock when I go back to park until I change it to turn that off.
I can't figure out what you're saying about the auto start and stop because I refuse to have one of those cars unless I can turn it off. I'm a cheapskate though so I won't have to worry about those for another 8 or 10 years then they will have all the things figured out on how to bypass the annoying features.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can't figure out what you're saying about the auto start and stop because I refuse to have one of those cars unless I can turn it off. I'm a cheapskate though so I won't have to worry about those for another 8 or 10 years then they will have all the things figured out on how to bypass the annoying features.

When you get to your final destination and come to a stop, the ASS will shut the engine down. If you shift into park, it will fire back up...but you’re about to turn off the vehicle because you’re at your destination. So when you shifted to park, you turned the vehicle on just to have to turn it off again.

Instead, if you just come to a stop and then press the ignition button, the vehicle will stay shut off and shift itself into park thus eliminating an extra start cycle.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When you get to your final destination and come to a stop, the ASS will shut the engine down. If you shift into park, it will fire back up...but you’re about to turn off the vehicle because you’re at your destination. So when you shifted to park, you turned the vehicle on just to have to turn it off again.

Instead, if you just come to a stop and then press the ignition button, the vehicle will stay shut off and shift itself into park thus eliminating an extra start cycle.
Sounds very smart to stop extra wear and tear on starter etc. Stupid new car designs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

lobsenza

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Basically, I want the doors to unlock when I shut off the engine as opposed to opening the driver's door which is the factory setup. To do this, I will need a small timing circuit that electronically pushes the unlock button on the door when the engine shuts down. The circuits are readily available for about $15. The hardest part of the whole job is removing the door panel to access the unlock wire since it only goes to the door module and feeding the wire into the vehicle. I have done this on other Lincolns I have owned. The difference is on those vehicles the unlock wire comes out of the door so the door doesn't have to be taken apart.

The switch on the door grounds the unlock wire when it is pressed which tells the door module to send a communication signal to the body control module to unlock the doors.

Anyone removed a front door panel on their vehicle?

I want to complete this before I get the front side windows tinted so I don't risk damaging the tint when removing the door panel (not likely, but possible).

aporthole

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think the easier option would be to just disable the auto-stop/start or get in the habit of pushing the button to turn it off. Then when you shift into park, the rear doors will be able to be opened from the inside. If I don’t remember to disable the auto-stop/start when I start the car, the first stop sign or stop light reminds me to do it.