Door Keypad upgrade?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zeecarr

Reaction score
So I traded in a 2022 F150 on a sweet leftover 2023 Expedition a while back. I love this SUV and never was a pickup guy so no regrets...except one. The keypad on the door sucks compared to the F150 version. It seems like I have to try my combo 1-5 times to get the door to open. Sometimes I'm lucky to get it on the first shot and other times I stand there cussing trying over and over. The touch sensors are just not sensitive enough and it is hard to see in daylight to begin with. The F150 had actual buttons that clicked and I was able to get in or lock the door on the first attempt every time no problems.

Is there any way to swap the pillar with an F150 pillar with switches? Any other possible retrofit ideas?

Yes, I have the app, but sometimes I forget to unlock the door ahead of time and it is a pain to pull out and unlock my phone even if I am not carrying something. It takes forever for the door to open from the app sometimes, so I would much rather just use the keypad like I did on the F150. Maybe if the key fob wasn't as big as a banana, I would actually carry it in my pocket rather than leaving it in the center console... No way am I carrying that thing.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I traded in a 2022 F150 on a sweet leftover 2023 Expedition a while back. I love this SUV and never was a pickup guy so no regrets...except one. The keypad on the door sucks compared to the F150 version. It seems like I have to try my combo 1-5 times to get the door to open. Sometimes I'm lucky to get it on the first shot and other times I stand there cussing trying over and over. The touch sensors are just not sensitive enough and it is hard to see in daylight to begin with. The F150 had actual buttons that clicked and I was able to get in or lock the door on the first attempt every time no problems.

Is there any way to swap the pillar with an F150 pillar with switches? Any other possible retrofit ideas?

Yes, I have the app, but sometimes I forget to unlock the door ahead of time and it is a pain to pull out and unlock my phone even if I am not carrying something. It takes forever for the door to open from the app sometimes, so I would much rather just use the keypad like I did on the F150. Maybe if the key fob wasn't as big as a banana, I would actually carry it in my pocket rather than leaving it in the center console... No way am I carrying that thing.

Perhaps the keypad is defective?

Have you returned it to the dealer for diagnosis and repair?

Samantha1

Reaction score
The keypad on my 23 is sensitive - I just have to lightly touch the number for it to work. I run my finger over the general area at first to get it to light up - then put in the numbers.
Samantha

HILLY

Reaction score
I had PPF installed over my '23 B pillar and keypad still works fine.
Interesting, never thought of that. I would assume the constant smudging and swirl marks from constant touching are a thing of the past? That would also kind of be a safety feature too since the keypad doesn't have a securescreen feature (random #'s pressed before the actual code) to deter random code attempts.

OP
OP
Z

zeecarr

Reaction score
The keypad on my 23 is sensitive - I just have to lightly touch the number for it to work. I run my finger over the general area at first to get it to light up - then put in the numbers.
Samantha

Swiping first and touching lightly helps. This along with waiting to see the LED light with each key has me getting into the car a lot better now! On the other hand pushing the bottom two numbers to lock the door is still random. No matter how I do it, I rarely get it on the first attempt. At the post office just now it took five tries!

techdude99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had to swipe mine and then touch the numbers, too.

Five times is too many. Take it to a Ford store since it's still under warranty. It's 'possible' that pad is defective.

While you're there, try out some other touch pads to see if the behavior is similar.

Danm355

Reaction score

I wouldn't leave the key fob in the vehicle. If someone broke in they can drive away with your vehicle.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can't say I have had any issues with the keypad on my 2020. Seems to work the first time every time. Maybe hit the dealer up and see if they think the pad is working correctly, or maybe you are doing something not quite right with it. My experience has been great.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My '19 works fine too, it's actually one of the few features I've never had before, and I love it. Love it when I head into the garage for something real fast and forget the keys. Pretty light touches, all be it for about half a second, seem to work most of the time