Door lights

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by cdahlen, Sep 22, 2018.

1. cdahlen

cdahlen Member

I want add a led light to the bottom of the front pass door to light up running board when the door is open. My wife had a stroke and its hard for her to see foot position. Could I tap into the puddle lights? Is possible what wires should I look for. I have a 2011 xlt. But title says xlt/king ranch

2. 1955moose

1955moose Full Access Members

I don't have a wiring diagram for your vehicle, but my earlier 2000 uses only a 7.5 amp fuse for mirrors. You need to figure out how many amps the lights your installing draw. These vehicles don't like tapping into existing circuits to install add ons. If it were me, I'd probably tap into a 15 amp or higher circuit. Do the lights come with any kind of switch? Probably not.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

3. cdahlen

cdahlen Member

Dont have the lights yet. Still in planning stage. I also wonder if I can use the door switch to trigger the light

4. stamp11127

stamp11127 Super Moderator Staff Member

You should get the factory wiring diagram for your year before adding anything.

There are two circuits that you could tap into but you need to know the amount of current draw in them first. The circuits to look at are Fuse 9 (interior lighting) and Fuse 10 (puddle lamps) in the smart junction box - behind right kick panel. Both are rated at 15 amp but have an inline FET controlling them.
    If you add in an LED light assembly as a parallel circuit, if the LEDs amount of resistance is the lowest in the circuit it will cause an increase in current draw and may overload it. It is safer to see how close the load is to the fuse rating.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
  5. cdahlen

cdahlen Member

Thank you

6. cdahlen

cdahlen Member

Goggles some other websites and found something called "dome light supervision wire" is this a wire I can tap onto?

7. Habbibie

Habbibie Robot Generated Member Supporting Member

Wouldn't this cause the LED lights to turn on with any door when opened or just simply turning the dome lights on can cause the LED lights to turn on? I think following you steps is an idle source of power but OP should tap into the door ajar to the front passanger door as the switch that way only opening that specific door turns on the lights.

8. cdahlen

cdahlen Member

The lights would be on the inside door panel,so turning the dome light on wouldn't matter.

9. cdahlen

cdahlen Member

Where can I get a copy of the wiring diagram?

10. ManUpOrShutUp

ManUpOrShutUp Full Access Members