puddle light woes!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jk21

Reaction score
hello guys! i have a 2008 GEN 3 Expedition with almost 50k miles. i just got it 2 weeks ago.

at first i thought, my puddle lights are not working. so i changed it to LED bulbs. but still, no lights. 2 days ago, i tried familiarizing myself with all the buttons. when i turned the dim dial to max, my puddle lights went on! but that's it.

puddle lights should turn on when you open the door or unlock the button from your FOB right?

help.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
hello guys! i have a 2008 GEN 3 Expedition with almost 50k miles. i just got it 2 weeks ago.

at first i thought, my puddle lights are not working. so i changed it to LED bulbs. but still, no lights. 2 days ago, i tried familiarizing myself with all the buttons. when i turned the dim dial to max, my puddle lights went on! but that's it.

puddle lights should turn on when you open the door or unlock the button from your FOB right?

help.

LED lights my not work properly in the circuit.

The puddle lights on my 2015 turn on with the door opening, or the unlock button on my fob - but only during low light situations.

I think the light sensor on the dash has an effect on what lights turn on with an open door or the fob.

OP
OP
J

jk21

Reaction score
LED lights my not work properly in the circuit.

The puddle lights on my 2015 turn on with the door opening, or the unlock button on my fob - but only during low light situations.

I think the light sensor on the dash has an effect on what lights turn on with an open door or the fob.
thank you very much for reply. the LED bulb works fine when you turn on the dimmer dial to the max position. this still gives me the puzzle. thanks again.

JimR_TN

Reaction score
I have LED puddle lights in my 2007, they work fine. They come on with the interior lights via the FOB or opening the door.

OP
OP
J

jk21

Reaction score
I have LED puddle lights in my 2007, they work fine. They come on with the interior lights via the FOB or opening the door.
that is what i know how it should function. i dont know if its related but,

1. the dome light in the cargo area near the tail gate, it will only turn on when you slide the button to on. even if you slide it in the door section, still no light.

2. the dimmer dial near the steering - it doesnt dim the interior nor the instrument panel. when you put it on the max, then that's the only time it will turn on all the interior and puddle lights.

JimR_TN

Reaction score
Definitely sounds like a switch or wiring issue. Wiring could also include whatever module that controls the lights. All of my interior lights are also LED and they all work with the switch or the door including the one in the cargo area.

OP
OP
J

jk21

Reaction score
wondering if i reset the battery and if that will work...

DeafBringer

Reaction score
Sounds like you might have an SSV or XL expedition with the interior/puddle lights turned off?