door locks go crazy when i turn the key

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigwick70

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Could someone please tell me whats broke on my Expedition? When I turn the ignition switch (key) the power doors start locking and unlocking, and th starter wont turn at all. The cylinoid (i guess i spelled that right lol) is making a thumping noise like its kicking in also. Its a 1997 Eddie Bayer Expedition... Please help

Last edited:

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a dead or dying battery. Get it tested and replace if necessary.

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Battery. Sounds like a cell inside of the battery doesn't like the cold and finally gave up. A simple check you can do is to turn on a map light and then attempt to start the truck. If it remains nice and bright, problem with the starter solenoid. If the light pretty much goes out, bad/dead battery.

OP
OP
bigwick70

bigwick70

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A friend told me it could also be a sensor, (i forget what he called it) under the dash, and now that i listen closer, the kicking in noise i thought was the cylinoid sounds like its coming from under there, just over the speed ometer gague. What do you think about the sensor thing? Dam this is drivin me nuts lol. I miss my truck... I'll try the map light test tomorrow, and thanks for the help

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigwick70

bigwick70

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OKAY this one has really got me stumped. Changed the battery and its still locking and unlocking the doors and the cylinoid is still thumping. not a clicking like when a ford battery is dead (click, click, click, click) but ("THUMP" one time), like it kicked in and stuck. "scratches my head". oh i tryed bridging over the cylinoid with a screwdriver to start it and nothing. It ran the battery completly dead last night also. I dont know what to try next...any sugestions? do you think maybe the starter is grounded out? I also noticed the "THEFT" light is on when i turn the key.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigwick70

bigwick70

Full Access Members
Reaction score
solenoid stuck

is it possible that my solenoid is stuck, causing first, the door locks to start locking and unlocking then run the battery dead overnight, on my 97 expy? I tryed replacing the battery today to no avail and still when i turn the ignition the door locks go crazy and the starter wont turn. I read the solenoid is only a switch between the battery and the starter so my theory is if its stuck itll drain the battery? theres no chattering click click click, like when the battery is dead, only a distinct "CLICK" when i turn the key. Im totaly stumped here, please help:Stupid Me:

Last edited:

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
each door lock mechanism has a solenoid, thus ruling that out.

did u have any other symptoms? when the voltage regulator portion of the alternator fails, it also induces 'gremlins' throughout your system. in our case, a classic example, is that all the gauges will move erratically and the console lights blinked.

chasing gremlins is sometimes tough.

jglopic

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you have the Ford alarm system, it can be disabled with some gyrations of the key in the lock (I can't ever remember the exact procedure, but it is in the alarm manual). You could try disabling the alarm and see if that changes anything.

If you have an aftermarket alarm, you may have to consult your owner's manual for it to see if it can be disabled without removal.