dose any one use a cold weather screen?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Red Monster

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i was thinking about getting a cold weather grille cover from fia for my truck. dose anyone use these in the winter or is it not worth it?

Canadian Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used one on 79 F150 when I lived north of the city, made starting easier I think the battery liked it.(less cold air blowing over it.)

Lane24

technical advisor
Reaction score
I had one on my V6 Explorer just because it came with it when I bought the little guy.. it was nice cuz it doubled as a bug screen in the summer. You just snapped the heavier one on in the winter. It seemed to get the heater temp up a bit sooner than running without it. I don't use one with the Expy, but I plug in the block heater when ever it gets to -20 degrees or colder ( which is about -4 US degrees) and try not to park it facing the north wind. These big V8's tend to make a lot of their own heat, but I'm sure it wouldn't hurt as long as you get one where you don't have to drill holes in your grill.

OP
OP
Big Red Monster

Big Red Monster

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yea the one from fia uses stick on fastners but im considering to make my own that can be zip tied to the grill i just hate that once its warmed up it looses the heat so fast when i park for an hour or so and i dont have a remote start (yet) so I would like it to warm up quicker lol

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It wont hurt by any means, but I have never used them, and winters here get to -40+ on days, and mine starts fine. I have a block heater but have never used it, it just takes a lot longer to warm up.

OP
OP
Big Red Monster

Big Red Monster

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I live in chicago, nothing to extreme but it dose get pretty damn cold sometimes, i just want to be able to make my truck warm up quicker so it dont have to idle as long

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We hit -29 Monday, and it started ok, and it was ready to go about 20 minutes later. I dont think a cover will really make a huge difference for your starting, a block heater would be the way to go if you have one.

OP
OP
Big Red Monster

Big Red Monster

Full Access Members
Reaction score
unfortunately no block heater. i dont have trouble starting it it fires right up i just want to keep more heat in so the heat gets hot faster

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get E-fans and let it set for a few mins before moving? Is it just a cover/cloth that restrict airflow?