Double Din Radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigwill

Reaction score
I want to install a double din dvd radio unit on my 98 expedition. It seems as if i have to cut the trim around the radio to make a 4" height radio fit. Is that true, if so, is it a easy process, easy to cut and does it come out looking clean. Does anyone hae any pictures i can see.

BakerEdition

EF Chaplain
Reaction score
Will, yes I had to trim mine and used a dremmel tool...go yo my album.

Last edited:

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Will, when I installed my double DIN radio, I didn't have to trim anything. It was a close fit, but it slid in just fine. I think part of it will depend on how the front of the radio is trimmed. My double DIN radio had kind of a "pointed" front. Where if you get one with a squarish front, trimming would be needed. So, the answer to this isn't a straight forward Yes/No answer.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
also from what i've learned about the 1st gens (i have 2nd)...theres a piece in there that will have to be cut out for the unit to go all the way in...a lot of ppl say this...idk

Canadian Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah I did a double DIN no triming on front panel but inside black plastic I did trim. only trim a little at a time till it fits tight. There also is a bracket at the back that has to be removed. Pics of mine are in my album.

thebeast1190

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I didn't have to trim the front when I put in my Pioneer. Its a little tight on top but it fits.

OP
OP
B

Bigwill

Reaction score
Next question, do I need a kit to install the radio? How would the new be held in place?

redrebel66

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just put a kenwood kdx9140 in my 97 on monday. I had to trim quite a bit. The piece inside had to be trimmed alot also or the unit would sit pointing up and hit the radio bezel when the screen is adjusted.

The bracket in the back is a PITA. for the ones that took that out how did you do it?

trsimmons25

Reaction score
This is when a Dremel comes in real handy, also a hacksaw blade. The metra kit makes it a clean professional looking install. The front trim panel does not need touched. It is scarey when first cutting into the dash but just do it a little at a time and you will be ok.