Drill throttle plate?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dans95tbird

Reaction score
I have a 2010 Ford Expedition 5.4 3v, I have had it at several different shops and they can't see to find the issue. My idle when at a stop drops down low under 600 rpm unless I put it in neutral. I heard about drilling a small hole in the throttle plate since we don't have an IAC. I have already replaced the the throttle body with a new Ford one. Would drilling the throttle plate raise the idle?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2010 Ford Expedition 5.4 3v, I have had it at several different shops and they can't see to find the issue. My idle when at a stop drops down low under 600 rpm unless I put it in neutral. I heard about drilling a small hole in the throttle plate since we don't have an IAC. I have already replaced the the throttle body with a new Ford one. Would drilling the throttle plate raise the idle?

Drilling an air hole in the throttle body butterfly valve plate could cause a lean condition at idle - and possible set a trouble code.

Why are you worried about the idle speed when stopped and in gear? If the engine is not stalling, it may be operating as designed.

Have you checked all your vacuum lines and fittings to determine if there is a leak?

bodabdan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don't drill anything. Don't cut any wires.
My 2012 idles about 600-700 rpm depending on temp, a/c, etc..
As long as it doesn't stumble off idle, get hot idling, or lose oil pressure while idling I wouldn't think there's a problem.
I just sold my giant cammed 429 that needed 1 000 rpm @ idle. This 5.4 idles at just over half of the 429 idle. It took some getting used to but it's operating as designed.

OP
OP
D

Dans95tbird

Reaction score
Mine stumbles and acts like it wants to die. Smoke tested for leaks.. No leaks. New throttle body and relearn completed. New coils and plugs. I have taken to Ford and other shops and they can't figure it out either.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine stumbles and acts like it wants to die. Smoke tested for leaks.. No leaks. New throttle body and relearn completed. New coils and plugs. I have taken to Ford and other shops and they can't figure it out either.

Long shot - do you have the original air cleaner intake and a clean air filter (and not a reusable one that uses spray oil)?

bodabdan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've had a bad fuel pressure sensor before that was a real pain. Replaced it with a new (but also bad) sensor. Finally hooked up a mechanical gauge and verified it against live data, data showed 40 psi but mechanical gauge showed 10. Slow idle and stumble were among my symptoms.

Speed 330

Reaction score
Ford had a recall on idle situations have to get it recalibrated if you got four scan you can do it yourself

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford had a recall on idle situations have to get it recalibrated if you got four scan you can do it yourself

The NHTSA.gov web site does not show any safety recalls for the 2010 Ford Expedition.

Can you post specific information on the recall?