Drive Control Malfunction!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oklahoma Jim

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We were sitting at a traffic light with the Auto Start/Stop activated. When the light changed and the truck tried to restart, it wouldn't crank and the dash lit up like a pinball machine.

We got the subject message, an outline of the truck with a red dot in the middle on the center screen, anti-lock brake system module communication, Collision Warning system fault, and three other anti-lock brake system messages.

The truck did eventually restart with the pushbutton, but the "Drive Control Malfunction-Service Required" remained on the screen above the gear indicator. Needless to say, it was a little unsettling and I called the local dealer.

They got my truck in for service right away, but it showed no codes after I restarted it a couple of times. Fortunately, I took a picture of the dash and had the other messages on my FordPass app. They found the fault was caused by a bad battery!! I keep it charged when I don't drive it for a few days, but they found it had an intermittent bad cell.

It was worried that the truck had a major malfunction, but all turned out well and I'm very pleased with Bill Knight Ford here in Tulsa.

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
there is 0 reason to charge a battery after not driving for a few days. i would go as far to say that could have caused the problem.

OP
OP
Oklahoma Jim

Oklahoma Jim

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah. I'm pretty sure that was the problem. It makes sense, but time will tell.