Powertrain Malfunctions: Turning Left While Towing - Drive Mode, Hill Descent, Hill Start, Cruise Control, Pre-Collision Assist: Disabled

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stretch70

Reaction score
2020 Expedition XLT
This has happened three times so far on three different trips with a travel trailer. In all three cases, while TURNING LEFT ?!?!. Multiple faults will suddenly appear: Drive Mode Unavailable, Hill Start Assist Warning, Hill Descent Control Fault Warning, Pre-Collision Assist N/A, and the Cruise Control is disabled. I'll get a warning light for Traction Control on the dash and a message in the Ford App for Powertrain Malfunction. I can't be positive, but seems as if truck starts pulling harder to the left, and the sway control doesn't work quite as well.

After cool-down, the faults all clear, and drive mode and cruise control function normally again.

Is this a common/known issue? thanks very much for the help.

mr_dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't have all that fancy stuff on my Expedition but my wife's Jeep does and it recently had intermittent issues with cruise control and collision brake assist. It turned out to be a faulty radar sensor that had to be replaced and re-calibrated.

You will have to get a full diagnostic scan at the dealer (or similar) of all the modules on the vehicle to see what fault codes are set.

ElectrifyCLT

Reaction score
Could also be a steering wheel position sensor going faulty. I'd get a code reader and plug it in when all of those faults are firing.

Last edited: