Parking Brake Malfunction

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Janky

Full Access Members
Reaction score
About a month ago, I got the Parking Brake Malfunction | Service Now message on the dash. I remembered the dealer told me my pads were low so I figured that was root cause. A day or two later, the parking brake got stuck on - seemed to be just one wheel. I turned it on and off and kept getting the error. Tapped the electric motor attached to the caliper on both sides and eventually the brake released. Ok, really time to do the brakes. Easy job - thanks to the other posters on that. Unfortunately about a week later the error reappeared on the dash.

Took it in to the dealer and was charged $200 for service where they just cleared the codes DTC B111 and C1034 and performed "Parking brake apply and release routine", LOL! Since no parts were replaced, no warranty coverage :(
A few days later, same error. They replaced the electronic brake module on one side and covered the bill even though it wasn't supposedly on the warranty - thanks!
A few days later, same error! Now they are stumped. Anyone have any ideas?

One odd, possibly related thing. After I hit ok on the warning, it appears to always land on the towing tab, which I'm never on. I do tow a boat about once a week. I also feel like after they had it, the car started prompting about giving the trailer a name and configuring a few things. I assumed this was an unrelated SW update they did, but it's weird to see that tab selected when I'm not towing.

2018 Max with 55k. I'll update when I hear back from the dealer.

OP
OP
Janky

Janky

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh, I forgot to mention, the last time they had it, they applied an ABS update. That time when I was driving home I used the parking brake at a light, but when I tried to release, it went crazy alerting me the brake was not released. Chimed all the way back to the dealership! So slightly different, but worse after the update. But it also gave the Parking Brake Malfunction warning.

OP
OP
Janky

Janky

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does the truck still show tow mode engaged at all?
No, not in tow mode. Dealer called back and said without much confidence its the calipers. They are covered under warranty so they are replacing them. Crossing my fingers...

OP
OP
Janky

Janky

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A few days in. New calipers seem to have resolved the issue. However I can't say I don't cringe a little every time I use that electronic brake.

Drives31

Reaction score
Check the wires going to the parking brake. Right where it makes the bend by the ball joint under the parking brake. Mine was broken right there. Mine did the same thing, intermittent until it broke completely.

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine broke too. Intermittent warning for awhile and constant today. How did you fix it? The wires are pretty work hardened. They broke right where they were kinked tightly at the junction of the lower control arm and the hub. Seems like there should be a TSB or recall on this issue.