Driver’s window goes too low hits bottom?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey guys,

My window regulator gave out yesterday on my driver window. I installed the new regulator today (all correctly). After the install, I noticed that my window goes down to low and hits the bottom of the door? Sounds like the glass hitting the bottom at least and I also noticed that the window sits way lower than before when it’s all the way down.

Is there like an electronically/memory fix that I am missing?

OP
OP
NIGHTLIFEphantom
Reaction score
Bad regulator or maybe installed wrong, you will have to tear it all apart again.

I don’t mind taking it apart again but I didn’t see anything wrong with the regulator, install was straight forward... I’m clueless what it can be

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don’t mind taking it apart again but I didn’t see anything wrong with the regulator, install was straight forward... I’m clueless what it can be

OEM Ford regulator - or an aftermarket one?

There is a recent post on this forum regarding reseting the automoatic down / up feature on the models with that feature. You did not provide your year, make, model and trim line - which may help someone provide advice?

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What brand did you use ? On the OEM Motorcraft regulator ( WLR-188 ), there is a physical stop (heavy metal tab...) that prevents the window from running past the bottom of the track and hitting the door.

This is the regulator upside down. The stop is in the upper right corner of the picture...
WLR188-BAC__ra_p.jpg

OP
OP
NIGHTLIFEphantom
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. I just ordered the ford part from the dealer... about to go pick it up and swap out and return the dorman to advance.

Still curious about if there is a window reset to calibrate the up and down stops.

OP
OP
NIGHTLIFEphantom
Reaction score
Ok. So i’m installing the Ford ordered part now.

Well, you guys were right. The Dorman part did not have a few things as the Ford part.

The Dorman was missing the stopper as the Ford part has one.

Now... it’s possible you can take the stopper off of your original window regulator and switch it over to Dorman if you wanted to save $100 or so.... but I recommend just going with the Ford part because my Dorman was bent out of shaped new in the box, it’s actually my 2nd order of the Dorman as the first one yesterday had a broken piece missing for the door handle cable holder. Save the time and effort and go with the Ford... ordering from your local dealer might cost more. Ordering online from
Tasca and elsewhere will be less. Just so this is not a dead end thread, here you go...

Here’s the Dorman:

C3-F9-C996-7-B58-47-F3-946-C-0701842-D1-F4-D.jpg

66-AFE131-4-AE4-4-D9-C-A719-D58-F9-F82108-E.jpg

Here’s the Ford part:
8-BAF7611-25-DE-4431-B639-98-BB71-ADA1-EC.jpg

6-AB1-B2-C9-5-A76-4395-A40-A-917-C6-F02-CCF5.jpg

Last edited:

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's great ! When Dorman gets enough of their crappy regulators returned maybe they'll start adding the stop tab to their builds. You should probably tell your local Advance Auto this info as well, so they'll stop selling them until it's corrected. I changed out my drivers door regulator a little while ago and that tab was pretty corroded, almost ready to break off anyway.