Driver door - outside handle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

at2001Expdy

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a 2001 EB with ~54k miles on it. The other day when I went to open the driver door, the outside handle stayed up. When I closed the door, the latch never caught. I was able to push the handle in to get the door to latch. It has been doing the same thing ever since. I did lubricate the door hinges, catch and handle; still the same result.

When it first happend, there was no feel or sound of something breaking or coming loose.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dont know exactly but if you take the the door panel off the inside you can see the inside the door and there is 2 (i think) screws that hold the handle on then push out the handle to get a better look... I'll be going by my friends body shop later and see if he can come up with something

OP
OP
A

at2001Expdy

Reaction score
I am going to pull the door panel off this weekend if it is not too cold out. I will take a look. Is there a spring on the handle?

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not 100 percent sure but i believe there is a spring of some sort... the handle isnt too hard to pull off n look

OP
OP
A

at2001Expdy

Reaction score
Found the problem. The window had come out of the track due to the snow and ice and the window track was binding up against the door handle. Fixed the window and the door handle works fine (even better b/c I was able to lube all the linkages)

thanks