Drivers Seat move only forward

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Beebs66

Reaction score
My drivers seat didn't reset or move automatically when I put the keys in the ignition. I attempted to move the seat base and back r at and they only moved forward whatever I did. Now after experimentation and testing the seat is all the way forward and the back too. When I try to operate the controls it clicks but there is no movement as it at the full extent of travel. Help please

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can you read a wiring schematic? What year SUV do you have? Can be a few possibilities. Power seat module, seat motor, switch on seat. Easiest test pull seat switch, with test light or voltmeter check to see if you have power/ ground both directions. Check switch for continuity. Do the same at the seat motor. Sometimes a light tap on motor might get it working. Sorry I don't have access to wiring schematics to send you. Maybe stamp or bedrck can send one, once we figure out your vehicle with accesories. They can steer you a little closer to your diagnosis than I.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

Beebs66

Reaction score
Expedition 2005
I am familiar with electrics and basic electronics.
The car was left for a month whilst I travelled, in that month not started. Before I left everything was perfect.

The car started well showing no signs of a low battery. As stated the seat didn't automatically move forward to the last used position.

Both the seat fwd/back motor and recline up/down motors worked when I pushed fwd or up on the switches but no back or down. Hence a signal is getting through and the motors turn but only fwd or recline up.

When I operate either switch in either direction there is a voltage drop but only fwd movement and now the seat is max fwd and max recline up the seat can't move more.

It would appear to be a signal issue. I am looking at removing the seat tomorrow and injecting 12v to either motor to see check for both directions of travel.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did any water/ moisture get into vehicle while you were away?

OP
OP
B

Beebs66

Reaction score
The car was left closed all the time and I didn't see obvious signs of water, but, the car is in Annapolis and during my abscence weather went from humid/hot to cold/wet. Thanks Good idea

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not as slick as some others, but I think out of the box, common sense. Makes sense if you didn't move it, touch it, now it ain't working. Unless a squirrel or rat got in, and fiddled with it. It's got to be simple. Then again we are in October, creeping up to Halloween! Ooh! Just having fun!

OP
OP
B

Beebs66

Reaction score
Removed seat and checked around, no visible signs of damage. I reversed the wires to each motor and now everything moves back and not forward, so a reverse of how it was. I am assuming there is a relay or similar in the control box (Black box under seat at front) that reverses polarity to each motor and that it is common to all. On this assumption I am going to swap passenger and drivers control boxes over and see what happens.

On a second note the side mirror motors don't work also, these were good before I left. It is possible that an electrical 'event' has happened to the car.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated but I will log any findings as they arise.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well at least you know the motors work! Was anything wet? The seat module causes problems with these vehicles from what I've read. I would do all the tests stamp sent you. I know it's time consuming, but it's better than guessing and being wrong. God knows we've have enough members that do that. Not to mention think of how proud you'll be when you figure it out. Were all rooting for you!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nameisbry