Drivers Side Turbo Failing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JustHarsh

Reaction score
2017 Expedition XLT. 107K miles.

I had the oil changed a couple weeks ago and since have had two road trips. When I got back this last weekend I got a slight whiff of burning oil smell when I parked in the garage. I didn't see anything at the time, but put a piece of cardboard down under the engine to check in the morning. Sure enough there was a silver dollar size oil stain. I took it to where I got the oil change from to have them check to make sure everything was tight. The pulled me into the bay where my truck was hoisted and showed me the drivers side turbo. It had a fine layer of oil over the casing and then you could see oil pooling up at the bottom of the turbo and then you could see where it had been dripping onto everything else. The truck is under a Ford extended warranty, so I took it to Ford this morning. They just called back and said after looking it over, they notices the oil possibly leaking from higher up; that it is unusual for turbos to show an outside leak when there is no indication of an internal leak (which they said they checked for signs in the piping and found none). They said the dipstick was loose and they saw evidence of oil spillage from there. I explained that the oil was just check that morning and so if the dipstick was loose it happened then, not weeks ago. They are going to degrease the turbo casing and then want me to bring it back after a couple hundred miles.

I haven't experienced a loss of power, but I don't know what other signs to look for. Are there codes that will be thrown to indicate there might be an issue with a turbo?

adamsdaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It has been 5 days since your post - anymore oil leakage? After getting the threads stripped in the oil pan on a previous vehicle-I change the oil myself on the Expy and my Scion. As for a code-not that I know of. You'd likely get a low oil error.

stilbo

Reaction score
That Ford dealership is either avoiding the obvious or just plain dumb.
The EcoBoost V6 turbos have a well known reputation for leaking oil at the bottom oil line fitting.
Search this forum for “leaking turbo” and you’ll be able to zero in on V6 turbocharger oil leaks.
Fortunately, the turbos are okay but the oil line will need to be replaced.
It’s not an easy task but it’s a doable task.
And don’t pay much attention to videos of the kid mechanic that pulls the complete bodies and beds off of F150 EcoBoost trucks just to replace the oil line.
If the leak increases over time there will be the possibility that the turbo could be damaged by oil starvation but typically these leaks persist with only a small amount of leakage over a long period of time.

wk99

Reaction score
I've learned over time that it is sometime best to the job yourself if you have the time. I did my first timing job on my 2012 Expedition by watching youtube videos. Youtube has been a wealth of information that most auto shops won't share because it cuts into their profits. The dealership wanted to charge me $4400 for the timing job. I paid a dealership around that much back in 2016 to do a timing job and decided I could do it myself for far less. Granted it took me 30 days to complete but I also upgraded the oil pump, water pump, and roller followers while doing the job and it still cost me less money. She's running beautifully. Thinking of turbocharging it next.